Chapter 13: I didn't forget

Happy New Years! I wish you all health and happiness as we take on this new year head on and chin up. Love you all!

     It felt like she had been sleeping when she stirred awake. Branch had been laying next to her, his arms still wrapped around in her in a gentle, protective embrace.

     "Branch...? What time is it...?" She said softly, rubbing her eyes.

     "About 6."

     Poppy hummed and closed her eyes again, only to be shot open when she realized that she was forgetting something.

     "Oh my gosh I forgot about my dad!" She yelled as she jumped out of bed. Trying to get her to calm down, he grabbed her shoulders and tried to keep her from jumping into the next village.

     "Poppy! Calm down! What's wrong?" She was painting as if she had just ran a marathon.

     "My dad, I told him he could come over for dinner. I thought it'd be easier to break it to him that we're staying here to live. I told him I'd get him, I hope he doesn't think I forgot even though I did!" After that she ran out the door, Branch poking his head out the same door.

     "Well wait! If he's coming over, what am I supposed to make to eat?"

     "I don't know. You're the smart one, think of something!" She yelled running off, leaving her husband to figure out what to do on his own.

     Poppy ran as fast as she could to her father's house, banging on the door as soon as she got there.

     "Dad! Dad! Dad! Dad!" After a few minutes of banging, King Peppy finally opened the door.

     "Poppy, there you are! I was just getting ready to change into some more comfortable clothes." He said with a chuckle as he closed the door behind him. Releasing her nerves into a laugh, she turned and walked alongside her father.

     King Peppy looked over at his silent daughter and raised an eyebrow.

     "Poppy? Child are you alright?" She had zoned out and he was snapping his fingers in front of her face.

     "Poppy?" The pink troll shook her head and looked over at her father.

     "Oh, sorry. I just got a little lost in my own thoughts."

     His daughter's eyes were tired and pieces of her hair were out of place.

     "So.. How's Branch..?"

     "Oh, he's fine. We were really busy after we got the final alterations and I was practically all over him. We were so tired."

     King Peppy's eyes widened as he turned his head away from his daughter and towards the bunker door. He held the door open for Poppy and was welcomed by a delicious smell.

     "There you guys are. Dinner's gonna be a few minutes so you guys can relax a bit." The teal troll said as the pink one walked over, wrapped her arms around him and gave his a quick kiss on his lips.

     "Branch that smells so good! What is it?" She said, trying to take a peak.

     "Well, I thought you and your dad would enjoy a sweeter dinner, so I made a berry pie." She couldn't help but squeal.

     "Ahh! I love your berry pie!!"

     "I know, so how about you set the table, and I'll get this pie out." And with a nod, she did so. Peppy was sitting at the table, playing with his thumbs as he watched his daughter give him silverware and his son-in-law bring out a pie that smelt like it came out of the world's greatest bakery. He could feel the drool come out of his mouth as Branch smiled at his father-in-law.

     "Dinner is served." Branch said, as Poppy chimed in.

     "Dig in!"