Chapter 24: It's time to take her home

By the time the two made it in the pod, they were out of breath, panting as hard as they possibly could. Poppy and the little girl looked upwards at the two men in front of them.

     "Dad? This is a pleasant surprise. I guess that's why you've been gone for forever." She said as she stood up and placed her hands on her hips.

     It wasn't the fact that she was angry, it was more of an impatient tone.

     "I eventually found some bandages while this cutie over here rested with some ice on her poor ankle." She turned, giving the child a motherly smile as she pecked her forehead.

     The teal troll couldn't help but smile at his wife when he saw the kindness that shone through her heart. Being the queen, sure she pretty much would have to be kind to her subjects, but this was genuine. It wasn't for the glory or praise that she'd get outta it. It was to help and befriend. It made his heart sing.

     "Yeah, I'm sorry I took so long. They didn't seem to have any at the stores and I just happened to run into your father and here we are standing in our house at this very moment." The fact that he was lying didn't really pass Poppy. She just smiled and stroked the child's hair.

     "Oh, by the way, this is Ruby. Ruby, this is Branch and my dad."

     "Oh I know who they are!" She said excitedly. Poppy laughed at her enthusiasm. The pink troll looked up at her husband and smiled.

     "I'm gonna take Ruby home soon. I'm sure her parent's are worried sick."

     Ruby frowned and looked up at the two in front of them. Branch and Poppy. She had always admired the both of them, even Branch. They showed her so many qualities that she just, admired and really sparked out to her.

     Poppy had walked off with her father to get him sitting down as she got him something to drink. Branch crouched over and whispered to the little girl.

     "Thank you for keeping her busy for me." Without another word, he was attacked by a giant hug from this cute little trolling. She couldn't believe that this was happening to her. She was being thanked by the one and only, King Branch.

    "You're welcome. I'd gladly do it again."

     The pink troll peeked in from the other room, only to find the teal one sharing a hug with Ruby. The smile on his face melted her heart like chocolate in a microwave. He was great with children. They love him. A smile was painted on her face as a thought ran into her head.

     "Maybe he is ready.."

     No. No time to be thinking about this now. They need to get this girl home. Poppy set a drink down in front of her father and spoke.

     "Alrighty, so I'm gonna go take Ruby home now. I should only be a few minutes."

     "Do you mind if I tag along?"

     Poppy stopped mid-track and looked over at Branch. Did he really just ask to go somewhere? Usually he stays home or she had to ask him to come along. It filled her with joy listening to his offer.

     "Sure! Dad, do you mind?" The orange troll shook his head and with a smile, Branch picked up the young troll and the two walked out of the pod.

     It wasn't a long walk to her house. Her mother was so happy to see that her baby was alright and thanked the King and Queen probably a thousand times. Before they left, Ruby gave them both one last hug goodbye. With a gentle wave, the two walked out the door, into the sunset.