Chapter 20: Home to Home

"Poppy? Poppy wake up."

     There was heavy throbbing in her head. The pink troll's eyes flickered open and her blurry vision soon cleared up to her husband. He stood there with a gentle smile on his face, rubbing her back in hypnotic motions. Rubbing her head, she sat up.

     "Branch.. I didn't hear you come in.. how was the schoolhouse?"

     "It was actually pretty good." He whispered, not to make her headache worse.

     "At first I was pretty nervous. I mean, I've pretty much had no experience with children at all, so who knows what could've happened. I'm not exactly the queen that they love to death. But before we read the story, we all went outside for a little bit since they seemed squirmish. I talked with them, and read the story. Then I stayed with them for arts and crafts." The teal troll bent over and brought up a bag to her. Inside were little cards that the children had made for her. An individual message was written inside each one.

     "The kids made some cards for you, hoping you get better."

     Her heart melted with every word. The kindness in each of their hearts made her shed a tear.

     "They really love you."

     "And they're gonna love you too." Branch raised an eyebrow.

     "I want you to start coming with me when I go to the schoolhouse."

     As much as he was flattered, he wasn't so sure if it was a good idea. It was one day, that could just be a one 'let's be nice to him because he doesn't know what he's doing' day.

     "Are you sure..?  I mean, I just.." She put her hands on top of his and pecked his cheek.

     "Yes. I know that these kids loved you. They're not the kind of kids that just be nice for one day and are monsters the next. They find a reason to like you, and become your friend." They both shared a romantic smile as they gave each other a passionate kiss.

     Branch was the one to break the kiss as he lifted his finger and walked out of the room. Poppy continued to read the cards until he came back in with a bubbly liquid and handed it to her.

     "Here. It'll help your headache. After you finish it, I want you to rest. I'm gonna go check up on your dad. He's been kinda quiet since the coronation. I mean, I know that was yesterday, but still."

     It was kinda odd to not have heard from Peppy. Even though her head was pounding, she got up and started looking for her usual blue dress to wear.

     "What are you doing?" Branch asked.

     "I'm getting ready. I'm going with you." Branch immediately picked her up like a child and placed her into bed, taking the dress away from her.

     "Hey-!" Her hand shot up to her head, trying to make the pain go away.

     "And that is why you are staying home and resting.  I won't be gone long Pops." He said as he kissed her forehead, lifting her blanket up to her shoulders. The teal troll looked over at his wife as she laid in bed, trying her best to fall asleep. Locking the door, he walked out into the warm afternoon sun.

     Clouds began to cover the sun as he got closer and closer to Peppy's home. When he got to his door, it was left wide open.

     "Peppy..? Peppy?" Branch walked inside to find that her father was no where in sight. It was definitely not normal for him to just wander off. The teal troll began to panic, trying to think of everywhere that he would've gone. He paced around the home and eventually paced out of the house, looking everywhere.

     But no matter how panicked he was becoming. There was one thing he had to remember.

     Don't let Poppy know.