Chapter 48: A daddy's girl

Branch quickly went up back to his wife as he saw the baby squirm and cry. It was like she was a wiggle worm, trying to break free.

     "We just finished our bottle and then she got super cranky..! I've tried almost everything to calm her down but nothing worked..! I think she just wants you to hold her." The pink troll said as the child reached outward to her father, her cries only getting louder by the second. Using her cries as an advantage, the snack pack swiftly made it outside without being noticed.

     Ever so gently, Branch reached out towards Melody and took her out of her mother's arms. Her cries softened as the teal troll slowly rocked her side to side. Melody snuggled into her father, taking in his warm. It was like she already knew he was always protecting her. Poppy felt tears flow into her eyes as she tried to blink them away.

     "She's a daddy's girl..!" She spoke in pure happiness.

     "Oh! I have to go find my camera for her scrapbook!" Poppy said as she ran off towards their bedroom.

     Branch couldn't help but smile as he watched his little girl snuggle into his vest. Besides Poppy and his grandma, nobody would ever want to get this close to him. Despite his facial features not showing it, he felt like he wanted to cry.

     "Don't worry sweetie.. Daddy's here.." He said softly, soothing the child.

     Poppy ran back in with the camera, hoping she hadn't missed anything.

     "Did any of you move??"

     "No Pops, nobody moved."

     "Perfect! I don't want to miss anything! Now smile!" Excitedly, she got the camera ready. Branch gave a humble smile, but still a good one. After the picture printed, she waved it around to allow it to dry, and looked at it.

     "Aw! Look at you! Holding our little princess!" Branch looked up at Poppy, his smile gently fading as he then looked away.

     "Hey, what's the matter?"

     "Pops.. What if.. she doesn't like me..?"

     "Branch you can't seriously be asking that question. Look at her! She loves you!"

     "But she's just a baby.. What if she grows up and just.. doesn't.."

     The pink troll's face softened as she watched a tear roll down his cheek. With an understanding smile her hand met his cheek and wiped his tear away.

     "Branch, I know you're afraid.. But in my opinion, I don't think you have a thing to worry about.." She watched as Melody wrap her entire hand around his pointer finger. She gave out a soft coo.

     "She may not be old enough to really show it in her facial expressions, but I can feel that she loves you so much."

     "But how can you tell..?"

     "Because you just know."

     The air was tense. It always got this way when they talked about something important.

     "And you know, I'm her mother so I know everything."

     That was better. The two softly laughed and Branch looked up towards her. Showing the same smile he did when he first fell for her.

     "Thanks Poppy.." The pink troll gave a similar smile in return.

     "No problem Branch.."

     It was silent for a few minutes when the teal troll decided to speak up.

     "You know, we still have to prepare something for the town for when we introduce them to her tomorrow."

     "Yeah I know. But can't we just stay here a little longer? I like it when it's just us."

     ".. Me too.."