Chapter Four (Giving in)

ROSS's POV:

I ran upstairs and to the guest room. I opened the door and invited myself in. I slammed the door shut and turned around to see Laura sitting on the bed, clutching a pillow she was holding against her chest.

"I'm sorry about that," I said.

"You seem mad," she said. "Are you mad at me?"

I shook my head. "No. I'm mad at my parents. They want to send you to a rehab center."

Laura's eyes widened. "Rehab center?! No! Please no!! I'm not going!"

"I know," I said calming her down. "I told them 'no' too."

She gulped. "So they're not going to send me there?"

I shook my head again. "I don't think so. But they still want you to feel better, get better, whether you go to rehab or not."

She looked down and said softly. "All I really want is my knife."

I sighed. "You know I can't give it to you, not after what happened last time."

"I won't do anything to myself," she pleaded still looking at the ground. "If I get it back, I'll just keep it as a sense of security."

"How about I get you a new knife, a safer one, that way I'll feel better about it."

"It has to be that one," she said.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why?"

She paused.

"It was the last thing I had of my parents, the only thing I could get a hold of when they died," she said finally looking up into my eyes.

I looked into hers and felt a hint of sympathy strike through me as I noticed her getting teary-eyed.

"Please," she said. "If you really cared about me, you'd get me that knife."

A few tears flew down her cheeks. I bit my lip and looked away for a second.

"I won't do anything to myself," she pleaded. "I promise."

RYDEL's POV:

"First things first," my mom said. "We need to get rid of all the knives, all the sharp things, all the glass things, that Laura could possibly use to harm herself."

"Alright," we agreed.

"Also," she continued. "All of us NEED to keep an eye on Laura. Poor her needs to feel cared for."

I nodded. "okay."

"Let's get started on clearing out the sharp things," my dad said.

Before we could start, we heard footsteps coming from the stairs and Ross appeared.

"You left her up there," Riker asked him.

Ross shrugged. "She'll be fine."

He walked past us and made his way to the coat rack. He took his coat off of the rack and pushed his arms through the sleaves.

"Where you going," my dad asked.

Ross hesitated. "Out. I'm going out."

"Where," Rocky asked.

Ross shrugged. "Um, just to... I don't know. I was just going to go on a walk to think things through and stuff."

He walked towards the door.