Chapter Five (Finding out)

RYDEL'S POV:

It had been about an hour since Ross had left and we had managed to clear out the house of all sharp things.

Only minutes, after we were done getting rid of everything, we heard Ross pull up in the driveway.

I went to the window and watched as he opened the door and got out. He went to the passenger side and opened the door too. I watched as a girl got out.

My jaw dropped. "Oh my god," I said.

"What," Riker asked from behind me.

I pointed out the window. "Look!"

He came up next to me and stared out the window. "He brought a pretty girl home? But what about Laura?"

I rolled my eyes. "Riker, that's Vanessa."

He squinted his eyes at her. "Oh.... She looks different, good different."

I rolled my eyes again.

We watched as they walked up to the door. We left the window and walked over to the door excitedly.

Ross opened it and walked in, Vanessa following him.

"Ness," I yelled.

Her face brightened. "Delly!"

We threw our arms around eachother in a big hug.

"I missed you so much," I said.

She pulled away and smiled. "I missed you too."

Ross put his jacket on the coat rack. "I'm just going to go talk to Laura for a second, tell her you're here," he said to Vanessa. "Come up in a few minutes?"

She nodded.

"Alright," he said as he walked towards the staircase and rushed up.

"So," I asked Vanessa. "Where have you been? I haven't seen you in a while."

She sighed. "I've been around."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean by 'around'?"

She shrugged. "Around. I never actually found a place to live after my parents died and I certainly didn't want to stay at their house, so I kinda just stayed around town, you know, in alleys, in dumps, in abandoned cars, and if I got lucky some person sometimes even let me stay at their house for a few nights."

I bit my lip. "You mean, you're technically homeless?"

She shrugged. "I guess you could say that."

I hesitated before giving her another hug. "I'm sorry Ness," I whispered.

"It's alright," she said. "I don't mind it, I guess."

I pulled away again. "You're staying here."

She looked down. "You guys don't have to let me--"

"We want to," I interrupted. "We are NOT letting you stay out in the streets. Besides, we're letting Laura stay too."

She sighed. "Alright. I guess this is my home now, then."

I nodded.

Suddenly, Vanessa looked to the right towards Riker.

"Hey," she said.

He smiled and nervously said, "Hi."

"Long time, no see, huh?"

Riker nodded. "Yeah. It's been a while."

"So how have things been with you," Vanessa asked.

He shrugged. "I don't know... Alright, I guess."