Chapter 9

School's Clinic, the day of the shooting incident
2120 hours

Chaeyoung's eyes fluttered open. She squinted from the blinding light, sighing in pain. The smell of antiseptic was very strong, giving her the realization of where she was. Her mind raced as she tried to remember what had happened.

"Your Royal Highness? You're awake?" A boy's voice broke the silence. Chaeyoung gazed weakly at the approaching fairy, non other than her Royal Knight. She smiled and nodded, to which Hyunsoo heaved a sigh of relief.

"How long did I passed out?"

"A few hours. But don't worry, everything's under control, Miss President. You can count on me," he saluted playfully, making her laugh.

"Thankfully you're all flesh and soul. I don't know what to tell His and Her Highness if you never woke up,"

"I'm alive, Hyunsoo. I guess it takes more than a bullet to kill me," she giggled softly. Hyunsoo didn't reply. Instead, he looked into her sky blue eyes deeply.

"Yeah, sure. You told me that once when you fell from an apple tree back then,"

"You still have that in mind? You were 9 that time, I guess,"

"I remember everything about our childhood, Chae-ah," he said softly. She tilted her head at the sudden drop of formality.

"We're talking as friends now. It doesn't really matter outside of the castle, isn't it?" He shrugged and grinned.

"It never did for me. And I kinda missed that nickname, Hyunie," her lips curved upwards.

Flashback, 10 years ago

Veridia, Fladria, The Land of Fairies

"Chae-ah! Come down already, you'll get hurt if you fall!" Hyunsoo yelled to the little girl on the apple tree. It wasn't that tall, but for an 8 years old girl, it sure was. She was perching on a sturdy branch, grinning cheekily to him.

"I won't fall! I'm just going to pluck some apples for us,"

"But..." His voice trailed off. He knew he would never win against the stubborn girl, especially in arguing. Chaeyoung stood up carefully and tried to balance herself. Her eyes was locked on the apples in front of her, and as she tip-toed to get it, the branch cracked.

"Uh-oh..." She breathed, knowing what'll happen next. Hyunsoo went pale.

"No, no... Chaeyoung!" He shouted when the girl fell together with the branch, screaming with her eyes closed. Chaeyoung braced herself for the thud—and maybe a few broken bones—but it never happen. When her lids opened slowly, she saw Hyunsoo's worried face. The boy had caught her in his arms.

"Thanks," she beamed.

"You're smiling? Really Chaeyoung? Anyway, my pleasure," he nodded.

"Are you mad? You call me by my name when you're mad," the girl asked carefully. Hyunsoo's face softened.

"I'm not. I'm just having a mini heart attack. Aren't you scared?"

"Well, I wasn't scared. And it takes more than a fall to kill me,"

"Huh?"

"Because I know you'll save me. And  turns out I'm right," she giggled. Hyunsoo blushed a bit, flustered at the girl's words.

"Sometimes I wonder if you're really 8 years old," he murmured.

"Were you saying something?" She asked, but he just shook his head, smiling softly. The rest of the journey to Titania's Castle consisted of Hyunsoo giving Chaeyoung a piggyback ride. He wasn't buying the fact that she was fine without any scratch, and insisted to do so.