20. Dinner, exes and cars

Me and Mathew walked around New York just talking. I've never been this comfortable with someone since...

Since him...

"Now why is a girl like you single? or are you in a relationship?" he asked while we sat down in a diner.

We had toured around until both our stomachs growled for food.

So here we are, at some fancy diner, both of is wearing casual clothes

"Um... I just... I just came out of a relationship." I sighed thinking of Ian

Just thinking about it made me feel bad, and alone. I missed him, more than anything. But I can't afford these kind of thoughts. Not when I'm with my boss.

"I'm guessing you ended it, since no one can leave someone as beautiful and smart as you. Although, you seem upset." He said taking a sip of the water.

"Well, I uh, was the one who broke things up..." I stated

Why was I opening up to this guy?

"Then you must be still in love with him." he said.

"What? no! I dumped him... no, I uh... I dont..." I stuttered.

It was scary how true he was, and how easy it was for him to make me open up to him.

He looked at me like I was lying.. a sudden smirk appeared on his lips.

"Matt, I love him. I probably always will, but when someone hurts you, you can't forget that. I knew it would never work, so I broke his heart before he could break mine."

"That sounds harsh." he said.

"Well, sometimes life is harsh. You end up doing things, being with people you never thought you would be with." I said. "I'm sorry... it was recent and I don't think I'm ready to talk about it."

"Don't apologize. I understand. Do you mind me asking the name of this jerk?" he asked

Ian wasn't a jerk. He was nothing even close to that. He was the decent, smart and the nice guy. I was the jerk.

Although I didn't want to tell him his name, so I didn't.

"I... don't think I'm ready to even say his name..." I whispered. "Now who was the girl who broke your heart?" I asked.

He paused thinking about it, as our food came. We took a couple of bites and a few minutes passed, when he spoke up.

"I was engaged to the person I thought was my soul mate. Don't judge me, I used to be sappy..." he giggled. "I woke up one day with the ring I had given her and a letter stating she had run off with another man."

My lips suddenly formed into a frown. He was left by the one he loves.

"I'm so sorry... I can't imagine the hurt you feel." I replied.

"It's the same way you feel when you think about your guy. You feel a little guilty, some regret but most of all, you love them more than ever and wish for the best."

"She's happily married now and has two kids. I could've had that life, that life with her, but instead I'm sleeping around with girls I don't give a damn about."

"Oh." was all I could say.

He was hurt. He was hurt bad and he hasn't recovered. And the worst part of all, he knew exactly how I felt.

"I guess we are not that different, except for the sleeping around part." I giggled.

"I think I really like you..." he smirked.

"You've said that more than once. But if you're feeling the way I am, you're just saying that because I might be the exact opposite of your ex."

"So are you saying I'm the opposite of yours?"

"Yes. But I guess we have each other. We've been through nearly the same thing, and all we can do is keep moving."

There was a moment of silence as we both ate a little bit more of our food.

"Anyways, let's talk about lighter subjects... Umm, what do you think about the new cadillac?" I asked tryin my best to set the mood into a happy light one.

"You're into cars?" he asked.

"Yea... have a slight obsession with them. I used to visit the mechanics to play around with the engines." I laughed remembering.

"Wow. The Cadillac 840 is my favorite, since it's engine is..."

"340 g power. I know. I love that car too."

And that is how our night went, a little dinner, a small talk about how hurt we are about our exes and last of all, cars.

What terrified me the most, was that I might be beginning to like him too.

Authors note

I'm sorry. So so so sorry. I liked this chapter but I know you didn't.

Tell me if you're team Lian or lathew.

Worst otp names ever, I know.

Please comment, vote, fan, promote (Rhymes!)

Love, AnnabelleR