Oh No

Team Orser walks into the Hershey Centre the next day, ready and prepared for competition.

The first event of the competition is mens and women's short, so the three of us are coming in, prepared for battle.

The entire facility is packed with figure skating fanatics and competitors, so its kind of hard to move around the rink.

Coach Orser is ahead of the three of us, guiding us to the back of the of the rink where we're suppose to be warming up.

We walk past the snack bar on our way over and I could've sworn I heard a voice I never thought I'd hear here.

"Hello Charlotte, good luck in your competition"

I turn back to look at the snack area, thinking I'd see him.

But no one's there, not from what I can see. There's too many people surrounding the area.

"What's wrong Charlie-san?" Yuzu asks with worry laced across his face

"Umm..nothing, I just though I saw a friend" I tell him trying to sound convincing. In any other situation, I would've told Yuzu who I saw, but I thought against it. I don't want my problems to get involved with him, especially not on competition day.

We make it into the back area and the three of us start warming up, jogging around the back stage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Charlotte, you need to calm down and listen to me alright? I know you feel a lot of pressure to be perfect, but I just need to you to liste-" Coach says but my mind can't pay attention to anything he's saying.

Jordan might be here.

Yuzu's here watching.

What if I screw up again?

What if I can't do it?

I'm already the laugh of the skating community.

People think I don't deserve the Sochi gold medal.

I don't either.

"Can you do that for me Charlie?"

My mind snaps back to reality and I just nod my head even though I have no idea what he just said.

I skate around a bit watching the other skaters.

Evgenia jumps into her combo, while Kaetlyn is in her layback spin.

I skate around a bit more before I jump into my triple axel.

The only hint I needed was the feeling of my blade flip edges and my body turning over as I fall to the cold, hard ice.

Another failed jump.

"Ladies your 6 minute warm up is now over. Please clear the ice" the announcer speaks.

Time to clear the ice..

I head backstage as a skater takes the ice. I'm skating tenth out of eleven so I have time to wait.

I'm practicing my jumps in the back area, practically over running my body as I am determined to land these jumps in competition.

Why am I like this?

Why do I care what people think?

I shouldn't let these thoughts ruin my chances of winning.

I need to make this my moment.

"Ugh"

My hip feels sore and my ankle feels like it was spun around 8 times each way.

What just happened?

"Charlie, are you alright?" Coach calls over, while Yuzu and Javi are running behind him

"Yeah I'm good" I reply but not really meaning it

"Are you sure? You fell practicing that triple lutz. You don't look fine to me" Yuzu says while picking me up off the ground and guiding me to a chair

Fuck I can't sprain my ankle before competition.

This is bad.

This is real bad.

Oh no.

"Boys, wait here with her. I'll go grab an ice pack" Coach says while he runs off to find an ice pack

"God this is bad. This is really bad" I say, putting my head in my hands

"Chicken, don't worry they're only on the third skater. The ice will help the swelling in the mean time" Javi says while patting my back.

"What do you mean only the third skater! I'm up soon! Each program is about 2.50 minutes and I'm skating tenth! That's in like 17 minutes. My jumps aren't even solid Javi! I'm gonna flunk this" I ramble on.

"I believe in you Charlie. I do"

"Hey aren't you Javier Fernandez?!" a guy behind us speaks dramatically.

The three of us turn around to see who it is.

"Nam! I haven't seen you since you left the Cricket! How've you been buddy?" And Javi leaves us to go catch up with Nam.

"Charlie-san, do you remember what I said when we went to mall that day"

My head shoots up and I look into Yuzu's eyes.

He remembers that day?

"You need to do this for yourself. This is your moment. Don't let anyone else take it from you" he says in a quiet voice

Although my ankle is throbbing, I bite back the pain to get up and pull Yuzu into a hug.

"Hey guys I found the ic-"

We quickly break apart and turn to see Coach with a big smile on his face, ice pack in hand.

"Alright Yuzu, let your girlfriend go. I need to ice her ankle"

Everyone's a critic I swear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Skating next and representing Canada; Charlotte Akagi!" Says the announcer

"You know what to do right? Focus on the jumps" Coach tells me while I stand by the boards

I nod my head and then I'm off, presenting myself to the crowd.

I stand in my position and wait for my music to start.

The air is quiet.

Too quiet.

I look around the crowd and my heart drops 6 ft out of my ass.

This can be real.

I'm dreaming.

In the fourth row from the bottom, I see Jordan in the crowds.

NO NO NO NO NO.

In spite of the situation, my eyes shift to where Yuzu is standing beside Coach and Javi.

Stay calm,Charlotte, stay calm.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts as the music begins to play.

Ave Maria
Gratia plena
Maria, gratia plena

I skate along to the sound of the latin voice, while my white dress flows in the air.

Suddenly I realize who I'm skating for.

It's not for myself or my parents or Canada.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

It's Yuzuru.