The Press Conference

After the short program the top three ladies have gathered backstage for the press conference, a.k.a interrogation for the media's entertainment. Evgenia currently sits in first place, myself in second, and Kaetlyn in third. 

"Alright ladies, I just need you three to sit in you designated spots until the press conference begins" a man in a suit and square glasses explains to us. 

The three of us walk up stage and take our seats at the spots marked with out name tags. Evgenia to my right and Kaetlyn to my left, leaving me in the middle. My eyes scout around the room until they land on Coach standing at the perimeter of the room with the other coaches while sports interviewers from around the world take the seats in the middle of the room. 

Press conferences are always a bit difficult. You don't want to seem too cocky and arrogant but you can't seem under confident. Everything you tell the press can always be manipulated in a way which can make you either look like the bad guy or the good guy. Or if you're like me and you're absolutely shit at public speaking, it's best to keep your sentences short. 

"So now that everyone has settled down we may begin with the press conference" the man in the glasses and suit who lead us in earlier speaks.

"After an amazing performance by all the ladies in the short program, we have narrowed it down to our top three skaters. Evgenia Medvedeva of Russia sitting in first, Charlotte Akagi for Canada in second, and Kaetlyn Osmond of Canada in third. Questions may begin" he explains 

Once he's done speaking it's complete chaos. They never seem to find an organized way to hold these press conferences. All the interviewers speak at once shouting out random questions left an right until the man in the glasses picks someone to speak first. 

"I have a question for Evgenia and Charlotte. How do you two feel about sitting so close to each other points wise? We have never seen scores so close only separated by .01" a man wearing a jacket with the American flag on the chest asks

I looks at Evgenia and she looks at me. For a question involving another skater you really need to be picky with you choice of words. I nod my head silently telling her to speak first. 

"I know we both skated our best and both completed a clean program. I think the free skate will be interesting since our points are very close" she says, her Russian accent filling the room

With that said, it's my turn to speak.

"I agree with Evgenia. We both need to try our hardest in the free since it's anyone's game at this point. Overall I believe the three of us have a good shot at landing on the podium" I conclude 

The interviews scribble down notes and shoot some photos before the next question comes through 

"A question for Ms. Akagi," a man from Spain ask, "Are you planning on putting the quad sal back into your program for the free skate?" 

I reach out for the microphone and pull it closer to my face, I fold my hands over each other and clear my throat before speaking.

"After my incident back at the Four Continents Competition, I do not feel as if I need to incorporate the jump into my program. My ankle is still in the process of healing and I'm fine with just doing triples this time around. Although the jump did raise my marks and help me beat my old personal best in the short program, I am not physically prepared to attempt the jump again" 

The press conference goes on and on and while Kaetlyn is answering some questions addressed to her, I notice Coach at the back room on his phone with a concerning and horrified look on his face. I wonder what that's about...

Coach Brian's POV (bet you didn't see that coming huh?) 

As the press conference continues I pull out my phone. Charlotte had answered a fair amount of questions and I gave her a nod each time approving of her answers. 

I open up the news app on my phone and the first headline, breaking news, catches my attention....

Breaking News- Jordan Romano escapes prison and is on the run 

We made it to the World Championships and Charlotte is close to standing on the World podium for the first time in three years. I can't let her know. I can't let her or the boys for that matter worry.

A/N: I PROMISE THIS IS THE LAST TIME HE ESCAPES PRISON AHHHHH