(CHAPTER ONE)

ONE

( refuge )

IT HAD BEEN ONE whole month

IT HAD BEEN ONE whole month. One whole month since the world had turned to shit. The dead had been up and walking for one whole fucking month. And it was not getting any better.

On top of the fact that the dead now roamed the streets preying on human meat, the world had turned to survival of the fittest. The government had too gone to shit, there was no help coming. The world was truly fucked.

The failure to keep the government up and running was only a small part of the problem that many people now faced. You see since the world had gone to trash, there was no police, no doctors, there was no nothing. The world was being rid of humanity in a slow and brutal process.

Only the strongest were capable of surviving, and if the weak were not protected, they had no hope. It was cruel, it was unfair, but it was the new world order folks. If you didn't like it, well, you'd be screwed. There was nothing you could do.

Until a cure came for the cannibal virus, humanity was forced to make their own way, by any means necessary. Many people had yet to realise this concept, but still many surviving civilians, like Ophelia Jackson, had.

Ophelia Jackson. How does one even begin to explain such a woman? Perhaps somewhere along the lines of...misunderstood would be an appropriate starting point.

It was true that the woman was indeed no angel. Far from it in fact. But, she was not a bad person. She did not to bad things intentionally in a cruel nor sadistic manner, nor did she do bad things at all. Though yes, she did the things necessary to get by in the new world, she had a gentle heart.

As the world went to shit, Ophelia had found refuge within an abandoned food store. It was dark and chilly, coated in cobwebs, but it was shelter. It had enough food to keep both her and her brother alive for a long while.

She was now walking through the isles of the store, tapping her gun against the palm of her hand. She was out of bullets and her brother had spare ammo which she very much needed.

Her brother, Griffin, had not yet heard the footsteps of his sister approaching. Perhaps the reason being that he had fallen asleep on the marble floor, the box of ammo against his chest as his arms draped over it loosely.

Ophelia shook her head at her brother, a small smile creeping onto her face. She did not want to wake him up from such a deep sleep, but his death grip on the ammo was like steel, unbreakable.

She bought a hand up to her plump lips as she made a loud whistling sound. Not loud enough to attract walkers, but enough to wake up Griffin. He had sensitive ears, he would not sleep through it.

"Jesus Christ Ophelia." His sister simply smirked at his surprised expression and crouched down beside him. She emptied her gun as she responded. "I need more ammo."

"Why did you have to wake me up? Just take it." He groaned.

"You looked very comfortable with it, so I didn't want to take it from you. Besides, you hit me once in your sleep when I tried to take your teddy bear. Don't you remember that?"

"I've been apologising ever since. I don't think I could forget, even if I wanted too."

"If you did. I'd remind you."

The siblings smiled playfully at one another as she gathered the ammo in her hands. Griffin then proceeded to sit himself up of the marble floor, while his sibling reloaded her gun. Once she had done, she gestured for Griffin to hand her his so that she could reload his as well.

Guns were a last resort in the new world order, the noise of them attracted walkers. But, the siblings always carried them, they did come in handy often. Though they were experienced in knife throwing, it was not always efficient.

"How long do you reckon it's been?" Ophelia looked up at her brother who had asked the question. She shrugged. "Maybe a month. Give or take a few days."

"Fucking hell, a whole month of dead people walking. What do you think the government are doing 'bout it?" As her brother finished, the girl was quick to respond, as she handed him back his gun. "There is no more government. There's no one out there coming to save us, we're alone."

"Nah. There's gotta be other survivors out there. We can't be the only ones."

Ophelia admired her brothers optimism, but she could not find herself sharing his views. She had always been the pessimistic one of the pair. Whether that was a good or bad thing she did not know.

"You're right. This is a big store, there's gotta be a door bell somewhere. Let's put it outside and wait for all the survivors to come knocking. Hey, we can even add a 'welcome to our home' door mat by it."

Griffins brown eyes turned into a slits. Ophelia did not notice, she had begun to play with her fingerless gloves.

"Don't be an asshole. I'm trying to have a serious conversation." Ophelia released a small sigh as she looked back up at her brother. She gestured for him to continue. "There's gotta be other survivors out there. Now I'm not saying they're all nice, but I know we can't be the only ones."

Ophelia had hesitated before she responded, putting her gloves back on as she did so.

"You're right. We probably aren't the only ones. But, the people that are left, they're desperate to survive. And desperate people are dangerous. We're staying away from them, do you hear me Griffin?"

He chewed on his lip. "Not everyone is bad. They could help us."

"We don't need help, we've made it this far haven't we? Anyways, Who's to say they won't just kill us? Even the good are cautious - and I don't blame them. I am too."

He sighed at his sisters stubbornness. "I know, I just think-"

Ophelia had interrupted her brother, she held up her index finger muttering a small 'shut up' to him. She was then quick to push herself up of the ground as she informed Griffin she had heard faint voices.

He was quick to follow behind his sibling as she began to jog through the store, towards the sound of the voices. When they reached the double doors of a storage room, Ophelia signalled for her sibling to stay still.

"We're not alone." She simply stated to her brother. Ophelia pulled out a knife as she signalled for her brother to follow suit. Which he did, joining her side as she opened the door.

She had planned to see whom was in their territory quietly, she could hear them in one of the isles of the storage room you see, but could not yet quite see the small group of survivors.

However, It was when she ended up with an arrow in her foot, that she regretted her decision.

-

Edited 14/10/17