(CHAPTER FORTY)

CHAPTER FORTY

( the prison )

8 MONTHS LATER

     "We've got no place left to go

"We've got no place left to go." T-dog said, as the group surrounded a map laid out on the hood of a car.

"When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off, we'll never make it south." Maggie added, running a hand over her face.

"What do you say, it's about 150 head?" Daryl asked. Glenn shook his head.

"That was last week, could be twice that now."

"This river could have delayed them. If we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through this." Hershel suggested.

"Yeah, but if this group joins with that one, they could spill out this way." T-dog replied, running his teeth over his lip in thought.

"So we're blocked." Maggie sighed heavily.

"Only thing to do is double back at 27th and swing towards Greenville." Rick told them, but T-dog shook his head.

"We picked through that already, it's like we spent the winter going in circles."

"Yeah, I know. I know. At Newnan we'll push west. Haven't been through the area. We can't keep going house to house." Rick agreed, briefly looking over at his pregnant wife. "We need to find some place to hold up for a few weeks."

"Alright." T-Dog nodded. "Is it cool if we get to the creek before we head out? It won't take long. We gotta fill up on water, we can boil it later."

Rick nodded at him and when T-Dog had gone, he agitatedly ran a hand through his hair — to say he was on edge, was an understatement. Everything that could go wrong, had gone wrong. They were on the run from more walkers, Lori was going to give birth to her child any day now, and everybody was bickering with each other all the time.

They still hadn't found a place in the time that they'd been on the run, which made it worse. But, Rick still pushed on about — he knew there had to be somewhere out there.

"Hey." Daryl said, walking over to Rick. "While the others wash their panties, let's go hunt. That owl didn't exactly hit the spot."

Rick nodded at his friend and went with him. Daryl held his crossbow in front of him as they ventured into the forrest — just a few yards away from the highway. Rick wasn't as good at hunting, but he needed the distraction.

The weather in Atlanta had become warmer again as winter had faded. At first the group had welcomed the sun happily, but after a short while of driving around in the heat, they asked for the cold air again.