(CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR)

CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

( no promises )

     Everyone was in shock after Dale died — no one had expected it to happen when it did or how it did

Everyone was in shock after Dale died — no one had expected it to happen when it did or how it did. And that, perhaps, was a part of what made his death so difficult to get past ; he didn't die peacefully, or even happy. He died in pain. And ashamed. He would never know that Rick spared Randell.

The next morning there was a funeral held for Dale in the back yard of the Greene home. Everyone in the group — and in the Greene family — were gathered around a pile of stones, under a tree, where his body was buried. Andrea was, arguably, the most upset. She sobbed into Griffins shoulder as Rick made a speech in honour of Dale.

"Dale could get under your skin. He sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt and that kind of honesty is rare and brave." Rick begun, standing in the middle of everyone. "Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another."

Everyone knew that look. Daryl got that look when the elder man visited him by his tent just yesterday. And now, suddenly, he couldn't help but feel somewhat guilty for pushing him away so harshly.

"I couldn't always read him, but he could read us. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us, the truth, Who we really are. In the end, he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken." Rick continued, withholding any tears threatening to fall. "The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together. Stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives... Our safety...our future. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. From now on...We're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale."

After Rick had finished, everyone left slowly one by one, each whispering their own goodbye to Dale. Ophelia was the last to leave. She'd been quiet ever since Dale had died last night. She felt saddened by the loss of him and it bothered her. Because this is what she had feared all along — growing attached to people only to lose them. Look at Dale. Look at Sophia. They both died too soon.

Yet, it was too late to go back. It was her own fault. She couldn't leave now for one simple reason ; she cared. She'd grown fond of the people here — Carl especially. It was what she didn't want at first. But, it had happened.

-

"Ophelia. Can I please talk to you?" Carl asked, as she was skinning squirrels by the fireplace.

"Yeah." She half smiled — truthfully she just wanted to be left alone. She was feeling a lot of things all at once. And it was strange to her. But, she wanted to ensure Carl was okay.