(CHAPTER TWENTY ONE)

TWENTY ONE

( Cherokee roses )

    "ANY LUCK?" Shouted Ophelia from another room, whilst rummaging through empty drawers and cupboards

"ANY LUCK?" Shouted Ophelia from another room, whilst rummaging through empty drawers and cupboards. When she was met with silence, she exhaled heavily and decided to go and see for herself - the floor boards were thin and loud against her boots, so it sounded like she was stomping.

When she arrived in the room next to the one of which she'd previously been searching in, she saw that Daryl was knelt in front of a wardrobe and inspecting the content inside. Placing her hands on her hips, she asked curiously, "you found something?"

Daryl didn't answer straight away. But, eventually he pushed himself up of the floor and answered in a gruff voice. "See for yourself."

The brunette heeded his words and approached the wardrobe. With her blue eyes squinted, she knelt down in front of it and noticed within it an empty can of tuna and a small thin blanket collecting dust. Realisation then hit Ophelia and she turned to face Daryl who was already giving her look from above her.

"She's been here." She said, and Daryl nodded. She then stood up and sighed, "looks like she stayed here a while. The question is, why did she leave?"

Daryl nodded again and then pointed to a hole in the wall with his hand that wasn't holding his bow. "The whole damn place is mess. The kid was probably freezin'. I don't blame her if she did leave this piece of shit."

Ophelia chewed on her bottom lip beside Daryl as she then examined the room - it was a reasonable idea as to why the child fled. But, she wasn't convinced. There wasn't another shack for miles, and the woods was far more cold, and dangerous - it would have been much safer to stay.

As if to emphasise her point, she then smelt something strange. It was a foul smell flaring her nostrils - the smell of decay and her facial expression became very focussed as she whispered, "can you smell that?"

Not waiting for an answer, she followed the smell and Daryl quickly trailed behind, trying to keep up with the determined woman. Soon enough, they ended up at the very back of the abandoned shack where Ophelia saw the carcass of a possum and realisation again smacked her in the face. Sophia left because of walkers.

"Walkers." She whispered.

"Walkers." Daryl confirmed, stood just behind her observing the carcass and exhaling heavily.

As if on queue, the cupboard at the very end of the room began to shake and they then both averted their gaze to the piece of wood. Daryl rose his bow impulsively, but Ophelia pulled out her knife and insisted, "I got it."

Daryl nodded and lowered his bow, whilst Ophelia opened the door and thrust her blade into the walkers head. It's snarling came to an end, and as it's limp body sprawled out onto the floor, she closed the wardrobe that it had been habituating in, and wiped her knife on its shirt.