(CHAPTER SEVENTY ONE)

CHAPTER SEVENTY ONE

( 30 days without an accident )

     "SIX." Ophelia shouted, pulling her knife out of a walker.

     "Seven!" Griffin shouted back, from the corridor adjacent to her.

     "You just made that up!"

     "Did not!" He insisted, pushing away a walker. "Eight!"

     "Eight...that isn't bad," She hummed. "For an amateur."

     Ophelia grabbed the shirt of a walker approaching her, and pushed her knife through its head. After she'd pulled it back out, she did the same to another one, and impaled a third as she turned around a corner of the school corridor — school wasn't necessarily the best place to go on a supply run, but they needed to stock up on resources for the children, especially now that Carol was teaching them schoolwork, so Ophelia and Griffin had came here.

     "Ten!" She yelled to her brother.

     "Ten!" He replied, retrieving his knife.

     A small line of walkers then appeared at the end of the corridor where Ophelia was heading, just in front of the exit door. They were all banging their fists loudly on the janitors closest door, and clawing at the small plaque of glass at the top where they could see inside the room. Ophelia wondered what was inside to have caught their attention.

     She began to wave her hands to avert their attention away from the janitors closet and over to her. When they saw her, they quickly turned away from the door, and began to drag themselves over to the girl standing in the middle of the corridor.

     She pulled out her knife and pushed it through their heads one by one. Except for one who'd quietly sneaked up behind her and taken her by surprise. He lunged at her and went to rip off her shoulder, making her stumble forwards. She landed on the floor with a thump, and her knife skidded across the floor.

     The walker quickly fell onto her, and kept trying to bite her. Ophelia had to hold him off with her hands, but it was like trying to stop a ton of bricks from collapsing on her. Her arms were about to give away, and she couldn't reach her knife, so she kneed him in the stomach hard enough to push him of off her.

     When he was of off her she scurried over to grab her knife, and then turned back around to throw the blade into his forehead. He fell to the ground with a loud thump and died for a second time.

     Ophelia then pushed herself of off the ground and retrieved her knife. Once she'd wiped the blood of her knife on her jeans, she peered into the janitors closet to see what was inside that had caught the walkers attention. She didn't see anything at first, so she furrowed her brows and opened the door.