(CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT)

CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT

( grade A asshole )

     The next morning hadn't been any less hectic

     The next morning hadn't been any less hectic. Nobody had seen Rick all day and he was still in a state. He hadn't held — or even regarded — his newborn child yet, and even though the group wanted to give him some time to mourn his dead wife, they were worried about him.

Carl wasn't any less upset, but he hadn't gone off somewhere like his father had. Ophelia had let him bunk in her cell last night, and he'd spent the night sleeping next to her, crying quietly in her arms. The girl didn't pretend to know what he was going through — she was much younger when she lost her mother — but she wanted to be there for the boy. He'd already been through so much.

Carl was still asleep by the time that the sun had risen and morning came, and Ophelia didn't want to wake him up. So she'd gotten out off her bunk bed and quietly slipped out of her cell without stirring him.

She had some errands to run today, so she had to leave him there. But, before she went off, she cut up some venison for him and then left it in her cell for when he woke up. She figured that this way, Carl didn't have to leave the comfort of his cell until he wanted to. If he wanted to hide away from the world for a little while longer, he could.

After she'd left a plate by his bedside, the girl quickly left the cell block. As Hershel and Beth were still there, she'd asked them to keep an eye on Carl and make sure that he didn't land himself in any trouble — after all, he was like a magnet for trouble. Especially now that he was in a shitty place.

Once she made her way out off cell block C and into the courtyard, her eyes landed on Maggie and Glenn. She saw that they were loading up their car with duffel bags and ammunition, and she curiously walked over towards them.

     "Where you guys off to?" She asked with a tilt of head, approaching the vehicle.

     Maggie and Glenn turned around to face her, as they stood by the trunk of their silver car.

     "We're going on a supply run." Maggie replied, slamming the boot shut. "Gonna have a look around for some more formula and some stuff for the baby."

     "Yeah." Glenn nodded. "Little ass kicker in there is going through more formula than nappies."

     "Where are you guys gonna poke around?" Ophelia then asked. "I was gonna head up that way, around south street, but if you're—"

     "Why don't you come with?" Glenn asked, cutting her off. "It's not like we couldn't use the extra help."

      "Yeah. Jump in." Maggie said, as she made her way over to the drivers seat. "It'll be quicker with three off us. We can be back by afternoon."