(CHAPTER SEVEN)

SEVEN

( a hunt )

     DARYL HAD WOKEN UP EARLY that morning to pack his things and collect his thoughts — he spent the time he had left at the quarry by going out into the forrest

DARYL HAD WOKEN UP EARLY that morning to pack his things and collect his thoughts — he spent the time he had left at the quarry by going out into the forrest. It was a serene place there, and he thought he could enjoy the peace and quiet before they left for the CDC. Only God knew if he'd get any peace and quiet there.

After all, the people in the group — as nice as they were — were annoying. They'd left his brother for dead — handcuffed to a roof — and they were dependent and needy. Getting away from them, even for an hour, was a breath of fresh air. Sometimes, he wished he was cold enough to leave — but he wasn't.

Daryl was trudging through the forrest with his bow in his hands, making the most of the alone time he had left. It would have been a bonus if he'd manage to catch one more meal before he left.

When he heard a branch snap in front of him — a couple of yards away — he pulled out a green feathered arrow and held his bow in front of him. He waited for a while, for the animal to come into his line of vision. But, when it did, it was well worth the wait ; a deer stood in front of him eating grass and rustling through fallen leaves.

Daryl placed his hand over the trigger of his crossbow and was about to shoot. But, he felt a shadow overcast him and furrowed his brows. He was surprised to see that Ophelia had appeared next to him with a hunting knife grasped tightly in her hand — she'd been tracking the creature for a short while. She had been after some peace and quiet as well.

She didn't say anything to Daryl. She just held her index finger over her lips and threw her knife forward. Daryl didn't think she would hit the target, but they both heard it. They both heard the loud thump and Daryl arched a brow in surprise.

"Nice shot."

❦ ❦ ❦

OPHELIA HAD ENOUGH of Daryl Dixon to last her a life time. She'd had enough of trying to be reasonable with him, but her patience was running dry and so was her temper — he was as unreasonable as he was rude. It was her catch, but he wanted the kill ; it was him who tracked it, he said.

After ten minutes of arguing, the girl seized the creature by its legs and quickly flung it over her shoulders before Daryl could. She couldn't spend anymore of her time trying to reason with him. It was like trying to convince NASA that the moon was made of cheese.

"You ain't gonna last five minutes." Daryl scoffed, gesturing at the deer hanging over her shoulder.

"Why's that?" Ophelia replied with a roll of her blue eyes.