(CHAPTER FORTY FOUR)

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

( self-disclosure )

     Ophelia didn't sleep well last night, so as soon as the sun poked through her window and lit her cell, she was up and out of bed

     Ophelia didn't sleep well last night, so as soon as the sun poked through her window and lit her cell, she was up and out of bed. It was still early morning, so not many people were awake, with the exception of Daryl — who wasn't in his perch — and Rick, who was sat at the table with his head in his hands.

     "Morning." She said, as she walked down the stairs.

     "Good morning." He replied, moving his hands of off his face. "What are you doing up this early?"

     "I could ask you the same question." She said with a tilt of her head.

     "I couldn't sleep. Lori talks in her sleep." He explained, rubbing his temples.

     "Why don't you bunk in another cell?" She asked.

     "It's okay — I'm awake now." He said, before he noticed she had a back pack on her. "You off somewhere?"

     "Yeah, I, uh, I couldn't sleep either." She sighed. "So, I'm just gonna head out early, find us some food, have a poke around the area and look for any sign of Griffin."

     "You don't need to do that. We're stocked up on supplies now." He said, but she shook her head.

     "Better to be safe than sorry. I don't mind, Rick. Really." She said with a small smile. "I want to help — any way I can."

     "Well, thank you." Rick smiled. "By the way...I hope you find your brother. Or at least, some sign off him."

     Ophelia turned around to face Rick before she left through the door.

     "Me too."

❦❦❦

     Ophelia had managed to catch a couple of possums by the time that the sun had begun to lower — she'd been out for a long while — but she hadn't found any sign of her brother. So she didn't want to go back yet. Maybe if she stayed just a little bit longer, she might find something. Or maybe it was a pipe dream.

     The girl was trudging through the forrest with her dinner over her back and her knifes tucked neatly into her holster, when she heard a branch snap in front of her. She widened her blue eyes and came to a stop, holding her hand over her knife handle.

     She stayed put, slowly edging her way back, until a walker appeared in front of her. She sighed in relief — if had been somebody else, things might have got nasty — and she pulled out her hunting knife as it stumbled closer to her.