(CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN)

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

( Surprise )

     "FOUND ANYTHING?" Ophelia shouted from another room, as she rummaged through a couple of unlocked cupboards and drawers

     "No. Nothin' since the last time you asked (which was less than a minute ago)." Daryl replied from the room next to hers.

     They'd both been out looking for Sophia since the early hours. They hadn't managed to find the child just yet, but they had stumbled across a couple of abandoned shacks that they had been quick to investigate. Again, they found nothing, but it meant that they could mark off more places on the map.

     "It's almost sun down. We should get goin'." Daryl said, walking into the room that Ophelia was rummaging through. It was an absolute mess — drawers knocked over, pieces of paper littered the floor and one of the doors had been knocked of its hinges.

     "Alright." Ophelia agreed, scratching her head as she uneasily looked around the room before leaving. Daryl followed behind her quickly, and a few moments later they were both on their way back to the farm — unsuccessful again.

     As they were trudging through the forrest, Ophelia was anxiously biting on her thumb nail. Daryl could tell that she was nervous (for whatever reason) because when he was nervous he did it as well. She'd been hiding it very well, all day though — it was the nail biting that gave it away (to Daryl at least.)

     "Alright." Daryl said, breaking the silence, as they walked next to each other, shoulder to shoulder. "You've been at it all day. What is it?"

     Ophelia removed her nail from her mouth. "At what?"

     He nodded his head at her thumb and then watched as she shoved both her hands into her pockets. "I'm fine." The troubled girl sweetly lied. "I just want to find Sophia, like you do."

Daryl shook his head, dismissively. "No. You ain't been right all day. Somethin' 'bout you...it's been off."

"Honestly, Daryl, I'm fine." She smiled, giving him a brief glance, as he played with the string of his crossbow. He scoffed in response — "I'm fine my ass."

Ophelia huffed in annoyance and with a roll of her blue eyes asked him, "why do you care so much anyway?"

"Sheesh. Heaven forbid I ask you a damn question without you bitin' my head off." Daryl snapped, becoming annoyed — he'd only asked her what was wrong. He didn't realise she'd get her knickers in such a twist. God damn.