(CHAPTER SEVENTY TWO)

CHAPTER SEVENTY TWO

( Forwards )

     THE SUPPLY RUN HAD'NT gone as well as they'd hoped

THE SUPPLY RUN HAD'NT gone as well as they'd hoped. They managed to bring home a few supplies in their duffel bags, but the small building that they'd raided had collapsed, and Zach was killed because of it. But, the most difficult thing for Daryl was to break the news to Beth.

     "How did she take it?" Ophelia asked, as she walked back to the prison with Daryl after checking their snare traps — they'd managed to catch a few possums in the wire traps.

      "I...ain't entirely sure." He replied, throwing his bow over his shoulder.

     "You...aren't sure?" She asked with furrowed brows. "Wasn't she...upset?"

     "I don't know." He shrugged. "She said she don't cry anymore."

     "It must be difficult for her," she said after a moment. "She's still young. Losing so many people must have an impact."

     "I don't blame her. She's tired of losin' people." Daryl grunted. "So am I."

     "They live on," Ophelia told him. "Through us."

     Daryl turned to look at her. "Since when did you get so...optimistic?"

     "Someone's gotta be." She shrugged. "I've spent a long time in a bad way, being angry at the world, even before this whole thing started. It made me miserable. I can't live like that forever."

"I know, it sounds bizarre, maybe hypocritical, coming from me," she added, pushing away an overhanging branch. "I made fun of Griffin for it for a long time because it was easier to be angry at the world for every bad thing that had happened to me, rather than trying to make a better life, hope for a better future. It's difficult to look forward, when your trapped in the past."

"Makes sense." Daryl hummed — oddly, her optimism soothed him. "You're lucky your brother came back."

"I know," she said, looking over at Daryl. "I wanted that for you too. I'm sorry that things happened the way they did."

"Ain't nothin' that anybody can do 'bout it now anyway." He shrugged. "Better that one of our brothers is alive than none, huh?"

Ophelia paused for a moment. "Are you okay?"

Daryl furrowed his brows. "What?"

"It couldn't have been easy seeing Zach die like that." She said as they left the woods. "And it couldn't have been easy telling Beth about it either. I know that you said you're fine, but I know that you were fond of him. So I'm asking you, if you're okay."

Daryl ran his teeth over his lip in thought for a moment before he replied. "No, I ain't." He then turned to look at her. "But, I will be."

They then arrived outside of the prison gate.