(CHAPTER THIRTY NINE)

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE

( democracy )

     Daryl paced up and down nervously next to his bike, gnawing on his thumbnail as he waited for anymore survivors to make it to the high way — Ophelia, Maggie, Glenn, Griffin, Patricia, Andrea and Jimmy

     Daryl paced up and down nervously next to his bike, gnawing on his thumbnail as he waited for anymore survivors to make it to the high way — Ophelia, Maggie, Glenn, Griffin, Patricia, Andrea and Jimmy....still hadn't appeared.

     The fire had died down now — at least that was the impression Daryl got after the smoke stopped clouding the sky — and the sun had begun to rise. It was very early morning, and winter had made the early air especially chilly. For the first time in a while, if somebody didn't haven't a jacket, they might just find themselves freezing to death...in Atlanta.

     Rick was the most uneasy of all. He was running out of patience and just wanted to leave soon. Lori was looking after Carl — trying to keep out of her husbands way — and Hershel was trying to keep the peace. Daryl never left his bike, which Carol was sat on, watching the redneck pace nervously around.

     "She'll be fine." Carol said after a while.

     Daryl furrowed his brows. "What?"

     "You know who I'm talking about." She smiled. "She's a tough cookie that one. She'll be here soon."

     Daryl grunted — he didn't want Carol poking around in his mind as though she knew what he was thinking. So, he folded his arms over his chest as he walked away from his bike and over towards a different part of the road. Carol didn't take it personally.

     "Can anybody hear that?" Carl asked a few moments later, holding onto his mums hand.

     Daryl stopped pacing and listened. He could hear the rumbling of an engine and he quickly turned around to see the approaching vehicle. It was a silver car, and he could just about make out Maggie and Glenn in the front seats. He sighed in relief — to himself — and then watched as they stepped out of the car.

     "Oh, thank God!" Maggie squealed, running over to Beth and wrapping her arms tightly around her sister.

     The girl then embraced her father warmly, with Glenn behind her. The four of them all felt relived to be with one another again. But, their faces were still low and somewhat upset. Jimmy was gone and so was Patricia. Beth had lost her boyfriend and the Greene family had lost another friend, not just in Otis, but in Patricia as well.

     As the Green family embraced, Daryl saw a flicker of movement in the back seat of the silver car. He furrowed his brows in confusion — maybe his mind was playing tricks on him — and slowly walked over towards the back of the vehicle. His blue eyes landed Ophelia and he furrowed his brows together even more.