(CHAPTER THREE)

THREE

( attack )

"HOW MUCH FURTHER IS IT?" Griffin had asked, his arm tightly linked around that of his sisters

"HOW MUCH FURTHER IS IT?" Griffin had asked, his arm tightly linked around that of his sisters. Rick exhaled, pondering on an answer before he responded. "Not long. I'd say no more than 20 minutes or so."

The group had been walking for what felt like hours after they had left the store. Their vehicle had been stolen you see - by none other than Daryl's brother, Merle. Or so Rick had claimed. The cop had been telling the Jackson siblings the story of how they had gone back to Atalanta in an attempt to rescue the Dixon brother, but instead it had resulted in the kidnapping of Glenn and loss of their truck.

It was when she heard of how only that of Merles hand had been found, that Ophelia understood why Daryl was not the most happy man. Still, she found it hard to like him, he did not even apologise for shooting her.

"So...what did you guys do before this?" Ophelia looked over at Glenn, she narrowed her eyes in response. "None of your business."

Griffin nudged his sister in the side, giving her a look before he cleared his throat. "We moved around a lot - never stayed in one place. Normally did bar work and such to keep the money coming in. And you?"

"I worked as a pizza delivery guy, nothing special." Glenn shrugged, adjusting the cap on his head. Ophelia was grouchy - she was not in the mood to converse but found herself chiming in when her brother urged her to be nice. "On the contrary - where would we be without pizza?"

The small group had broken into a small laughter as the night began to approach, even Ophelia cracked a smile. But, when the group began to have another conversation, she unlinked her arm from her brothers and limped ahead.

It was not so much that she did not enjoy having a conversation - it was that she did not want to grow close to these people. She knew full well she most likely would be leaving the camp sooner rather than later, it would be better for her to lay low in case she did not stay.

As such, she spent the rest of the journey there limping ahead. As she did, she had noticed how Daryl outcasted himself as well - she wondered if he would stay. He did not seem to be a people person either, though Ophelia just found him to be an asshole.

She found herself enjoying the night breeze that brushed against her pores, she had spent the last few weeks in a stuffy building suffocated in heat and sweat. The wind was a change she welcomed with open arms as the time passed.

"Everyone shut the hell up." Everyone turned their heads to Daryl, who had raised his voice, halting any conversations they were in the middle of as he raised a hand. "Theres screamin'."

"I hear it. But, there's no one around here expect for...." Rick had whispered both his sons and his wife's name as he pulled out his gun, his hand on the trigger. "We need to move now."

The group had began to run towards the camp, their guns at the ready as they did so. Griffin had offered to help his sibling run, but she had simply denied it. Though he did not leave her side as they found themselves closer to the source of the screaming.

When the small group emerged from the trees that had securely surrounded the quarry, they widened their eyes to see walkers sinking their teeth into anyone they could find. And so, it was not long before Rick leapt into action, the others following suite.

Ophelia arrived just a few short moments later — out of breath and panting — but, she'd been stuck in an abandoned warehouse for months and wanted to get involved in some god damn action. So, she tore her gun out of her belt, and fired bullets into the walkers roaming the campsite.

One by one, she watched as a carcass would slam into the ground soaking in their own, gooey blood. Since it was so dark, a lot of them tripped over each other and made her job a lot easier. But, she still aimed her tigger at them all the same — not because she cared about the group, but because it was the right thing to do.

In the midst of the attack, one small walker — with bloody fingernails and half a face missing — had lunged at her from behind. It almost ripped into her shoulder and she struggled at first to push it off from behind. But, soon enough she managed to shove a knife into its stomach. It wasn't enough to kill the dead creature, but it bought her time. When it stumble backwards, Ophelia was quick to turn around and with her gun send a bullet into its brain.

Griffin emerged from behind, raising his brows. His sister had never been one to wait for help, he knew he should not have bothered to try and save her, but you could not be too careful these days. Still, they exchanged a nod before resuming to killing the walkers.

She had just pulled a knife from one of their skulls, when Ophelia heard a scream. She looked up and scanned the area before she saw a young child being chased by that of a walker. Sighing, the woman then began to run towards the scared infant. No one else was going to save him.

Walkers were not considerate enough to move out of the way unfortunately - Ophelia found herself using many bullets to make a clear path. It was only when they seemed to fall to the floor on their own that she could run to the child without living obstacles blocking her way.

And it was when she saw the familiar green feathered arrows in them that she turned her head. As she had guessed, it had been Daryl covering her. She nodded her head over at him, but he did not respond. He looked away and kept shooting his crossbow.

Once she reached the child, she did not do anything other than pick him up and run towards the RV where she knew many of the elderly, woman and children were staying. She tried to open the door, but it was locked. And the people inside feared the banging was that of a walker, no one was going near that door.

"Shit." Ophelia had cursed, looking around. Impulsive and impatient she laid the boy down on the ground and instructed him to go under the RV. He did not hesitate to comply for he was far to scared and shaken to disobey. "You stay under there. Do not leave that spot. If a walker comes shoot it with this. Do you understand?"

When he nodded, she had handed him her gun, instructing him of how to pull the trigger briefly, and left. Not straying to far away from the RV, the girl found herself by that of a muscular mans side. She assumed they would be introduced soon - but now was not the time so she continued to use her knife to stab walkers.

-

Edited 21/10/17