(CHAPTER FORTY THREE)

CHAPTER FORTY THREE

( Cell block D )

     The group gave each of the prisoners a handful of weapons to take over their cell block with, mainly hatches and blades so that they didn't make too much noise — and after earlier's incident with the gun, they weren't too keen to give them mo...

The group gave each of the prisoners a handful of weapons to take over their cell block with, mainly hatches and blades so that they didn't make too much noise — and after earlier's incident with the gun, they weren't too keen to give them more fire arms.

"We'll go in two by two, Daryl will run point with T. I'll bring up the rear with you Andrew." Rick explained after they'd all collected their weapons. "Stay tight, hold formation no matter how close the walkers get, anyone breaks ranks we could all go down, anyone runs of, they could get mistaken for a walker, end up with an axe to the head."

"And that's where you aim." Daryl said, pointing to his head. "These things only go down with a head shot."

"Ain't gotta tell us how to take out a man." Thomas said — Ophelia suddenly didn't think he was put behind bars for petty theft.

"They ain't men." T-dog told him. "They're something else."

"Just aim for the head." Ophelia said.

"Yes, mam." Thomas nodded, somewhat sarcastically.

The group then paired up — Daryl with T-dog, Rick with Andrew and Ophelia with Thomas — and headed down the corridor and into the lowly lit hallway. Daryl held his crossbow tightly in front of him, loaded with green feathered arrows, and Ophelia held her hunting knife firmly in her hand.

She kept glancing over at Thomas, she didn't trust him. Something seemed...off. But, the fact he had a hatchet made it worse.

"Man, it's too damn dark in here!" Big Tiny complained.

"Gotta hold it up high out in front of you. You're gonna here em' before you see em." Daryl said, keeping his eyes fixated in front of him.

A few moments later — after a while of silence and echoing footsteps — they heard the quiet sound of growling coming from around the corner of the corridor. Everyone quickly raised their weapons, as they approached the corner, and the sounds became louder.

"It's coming!" Axel shrieked.

"Shh!" Daryl and Ophelia both shushed him in sync.

Eventually, the walkers caught sight of the group and began to make their way over. They were starving and clawing at the air, reaching for the group as fast as they could. The group went to raise their weapons, until the five prisoners charged at the walkers, thrusting their blades into their chests and limbs — anywhere that wasn't their heads.