(CHAPTER SEVENTY)

CHAPTER SEVENTY

( A better tomorrow )

     "MOM USED TO TAKE US out every morning to pick flowers like these during the summer," Ophelia hummed, peering through the fence and looking at the field of flowers outside

     "MOM USED TO TAKE US out every morning to pick flowers like these during the summer," Ophelia hummed, peering through the fence and looking at the field of flowers outside. "Do you remember?"

     "Of course," Griffin nodded. "Sometimes dad would come with us if he didn't have to go to work."

     "But, even if he did have work, he still tried to come with us. And if he couldn't," she said with a small smile. "We would pick him some flowers, and we'd give them to him when he came home from work. He was always so exhausted after work, but he'd still take our flowers and put them in his pocket, and wear them to work the next day."

     "I remember." Griffin hummed. "You'd always pick daffodils, and I'd always pick any flower that was blue. Now I think back to it, I think blue was his least favourite colour. But, he never said anything. He'd go to work with a blazer full of blue flowers in the summer, and then he'd ask me if I could pick more for him."

     "I remember one time in the winter, when we were complaining, he built us a greenhouse, just so that we could grow flowers whilst it snowed." She said, thinking back to their childhood. "It didn't work out that way though, did it? We came down with a fever for a while, and mom ended up watering the flowers. But, she always told dad that it was us."

     "It was all so perfect, wasn't it?" He said, chewing on his lip. "We really were living the American dream...where did it all go wrong, huh?"

     Ophelia paused for a moment. "It all went wrong the moment when that car hit our mom."

     "It didn't just go wrong though, did it? Everything changed." He added, looking down. "Dad went on a downward spiral, and suddenly all we had was each other. We lost the house, we lost our savings, and we lost everybody that we loved. Somehow, that car didn't just kill our mom, it killed our dad as well."

     "I thought I'd be used to it by now." He said with a sigh. "All the pain, and the hurt. I thought that I could overcome anything at the start of this whole thing. I thought that somehow, this whole thing would last a couple of months, and the government would find a cure soon. I even thought that maybe, in the end, everything would be okay."

     "Because haven't we had to deal with enough     sh—t already?" He said angrily. "Haven't we had our lives torn apart enough? I thought that this time, it was our time to be happy for once."

     He then began to laugh. "But, Sod's law, that it all goes wrong, right?"

     "When I first saw Andrea, somehow I felt that everything was going to work out. She was one of the strongest, and kindest women that I'd met in a long time. She took care of me, and she was there for me." He said, holding back tears. "I didn't think I'd ever meet somebody like that again. But, I did. And I loved her, Ophelia. I'd have done anything for her, I'd have given my life for her if I had to. And now...and now she's gone. She's dead."