(CHAPTER FORTY FIVE)

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

( forgiveness )

     Ophelia had gone to sleep as quickly as Daryl had left yesterday night, and for the first time in a long time, she had a sound, decent nights sleep without waking up halfway through the night

Ophelia had gone to sleep as quickly as Daryl had left yesterday night, and for the first time in a long time, she had a sound, decent nights sleep without waking up halfway through the night. By the time that morning came, she felt more refreshed than she had in a long time.

     They'd both quickly set off to back to the Prison when she woke up, taking a gamble on Ophelia's way, and arrived there by late morning, when the sun was scorching against their skin like fire. They both followed the trail of dead walkers littering the prison courtyard — and making their noses wrinkle at the horrible stench — to find their way back to cell block C.

     When they finally reached the cell block, the first person that saw them — and the only one outside off the cells — was Carl. When he saw them, he quickly ran off over to Ophelia and bombarded her with a hug.

     "Hey kid." She smiled, wrapping an arm back around him — he was too old to be picked up now.

     "Hey." He replied, pulling away. "Where were you? We thought you were dead!"

     "Sorry kid, we didn't mean to worry you." She said, scratching the back of her head.

     "Well, dads been worried about you, and you Daryl." He said, looking over at Daryl. "He was gonna go out and look for you if you weren't back this afternoon. So was Maggie and Glenn."

     "Well, we should go and talk to your dad then." She nodded. "Do you know where—"

     "Dad! They're back!" The boy shouted, cutting her off.

     A few moments later, Rick emerged out off his cell. A range of conflicting emotions appearing on his face — relief, anger, surprise, confusion...

     At first, the sheriff quickly ran over to them and embraced each of them tightly in a hug, relieved that they were okay. After losing Griffin, Andrea, Sophia and so many other people, the group had been worried that something had happened to them, that they wouldn't make it. But, Rick was relieved that Daryl and Ophelia were back in the cell block, still in one piece.

     When he pulled away from Ophelia, he took a step back and placed his hands on his hips — looking about ready to go off at them.

     Daryl and Ophelia both exchanged a look, knowing what was coming.

     "W-Where were you?" He asked. "You said you'd be back by nightfall...what happened?"