(CHAPTER NINE)

NINE

( the CDC )

    IMMEDIATELY EVERYONE STEPPED INSIDE

    IMMEDIATELY EVERYONE STEPPED INSIDE. They were met with the cock of a gun, as they did, but no one left. Instead, a male figure emerged from the light. His thin hair sandy and light, his skin rough and bumpy, as he asked.

    "Anybody infected?"

    "One of our group was, he didn't make it." Rick replied.

    The male doctor nodded his head, his sharp gaze never leaving the sheriff. He had not seen a human in so long, that it felt strange to accept that there was a real, breathing person, in his presence. One person was hard enough to process, but as more stepped forward, he had found it very overwhelming.

    "What do you want? Why are you here?"

     Rick swallowed the lump within his throat, the fair haired mans gaze harsh. Answering honestly, he replied, "A chance."

     "That's asking a awful lot these days."

     "I know."

     The male chewed on his bottom lip, as he contemplated what to do with these people. He did not know them, but as a doctor, it had always been his duty to protect people, despite their background. So he sighed heavily, "you all submit to a blood test. That's the price of submission."

    Ophelia, who stood quietly at the back, watched the scene unfold intensely. Her stomach had twisted into a knot within her, as she gazed at the doctor. She did not trust him, he was odd. This was going to end badly, it always did. But, as the group began to grab their bags, she knew it was too late to leave.

    "We can do that."

    The doctor then waited until everyone had bought in the bags before he raised his voice. "Vi, seal the main entrance."

    Everyone then watched in wonder as the doors closed automatically, Ophelia only feeling more trapped.

     "Rick Grimes." He had introduced himself. The doctor nodded in response, "Dr. Edwin Jenner."

    And then the group began to follow the doctor, who they so naively placed all of their trust into, which Ophelia found ridiculous, but complied none the less.

    Eventually, Jenner had led them into an elevator. One by one they stepped inside, until they were cramped together. Ophelia had been pushed in front of Daryl and next to her brother, whom had apologised to Andrea repeatedly for being so close to her. She insisted it was fine, and Ophelia laughed in her head at her brothers awkwardness.