Textbook Romance (ReidxReader)

You were in the reference book section of the library. You had to complete your thesis on stem cell death and regeneration. You scanned the shelves and found the book you were pretty sure you were looking for. As you jumped to reach the book you slammed your elbow into someone's chin.

"Oh my- I'm so sorry! I- I was just trying to get this reference book and I'm not quite tall enough to reach it and... I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

The man nodded as he rubbed his chin. "Yeah, I'm fine." He rubbed his jaw more before adding, "I know it was unintentional, but you've got amazing strength."

"Th- thank you?" You weren't sure if that was a compliment or just an observation.

"You're welcome. Here, let me get that for you." The man reached up effortlessly and grabbed the book off the shelf. As he handed it to you, you fully became aware of his beauty and handsomeness. His brown eyes were bright with enthusiasm and his almost-too-long caramel hair looked soft and perfect. As you admired him, you became aware he'd asked you something.

"Sorry, what?"

Smooth.

"Is this the one?" he asked, holding out The Truth about Death by Norma Boulder.

"Y- yeah. Thanks... um-"

"Spencer!" he quickly finished. "Um, Spencer. Spencer Reid. Nice to meet you."

You shook his hand before adding, "I'm y/n. And the pleasure is all mine."

"I sincerely doubt that, y/n."

You smiled shyly.

"Do you wan-" you both started, giggling when you realized the other was asking.

"You go-"

"After y-"

More laughter. You finally pointed at Spencer.

"Okay um..." He laughed. "Would you like to get coffee? I've read that book a- and I can help you. N- not that you'd need help understanding the text! It's a pretty simple book. Not that you're simple! I just- um- ugh I always do this."

"What?" you inquire, stifling a laugh.

"G- get flustered when I talk to people I like."

Your eyes widen. "You... like me?"

Spencer nodded and avoided eye contact.

"Well that's good. Because I happen to like you too."

You both smiled at each other and stood in a half awkward, half pleasant silence. It was a solid minute before ether of you said anything.

"So," Spencer began. "Friday?"

"Friday," you responded.

"Great! I'll see you then!" Spencer dashed out of the library. He left so quickly he dropped his library card.

You picked up the card and gasped. "Dr. Spencer Reid? He's a doctor? But he's so young! Huh. Brains and beauty. Guess you really can have it all."