*Revelations (ReidxOC)

WARNING: torture mentioned | Requested by killerwolf55 | Loosely based on s2e15

"Your team members... choose one to die."

"Kill me," Jones responds without hesitation.

Kate Jones, the youngest member of the team by two years, was captured by Mathis Daniels. The BAU was investigating on the Daniels property, looking for evidence of the murders of a John and Jane Doe. Mathis was killing people under the guise of the angel of death; purifying humanity before the end times.

"Your team has 6 other members." Mathis cocks his gun and spins the chamber. "Tell me who dies." He aims the revolver at Jones's head.

Click.

"No."

"Choose, and prove you'll do God's will."

Click.

"No."

"Choose."

Click.

"I won't do it."

"Life is a choice."

"No."

Click.

"Choose."

"I... I choose... Spencer Reid."

Reid's expression doesn't change.

"He's a classic narcissist. He thinks he's better than everyone else on the team. Genesis 23:4. He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy..."

Raising his brows, Reid leaves the room. The team watches him but stays to hear the end of the transmission.

"and to walk humbly with your God."

Mathis solemnly nods. Aiming the gun above Jones's head, he fires. The bullet lodges itself in the wall behind her.

"For God's will," Mathis coldly states.

The team goes to check on Reid in the other room in utter shock. Never did they think Jones would pick Reid to die.

"I'm not a narcissist," Reid says, thumbing through a Bible. There's almost a smile on his face.

"Come on. Look," Gideon reassures. "You can't think anything from that. She's not in her right mind, Spencer.

"No. Stop. Stop. Stop. Okay? Everybody right now. What is my worst quality?"

The room is silent.

"Come on I know you all hate things about me! No? Okay I'll start. I don't read social cues well."

"You're an ass when you're right," JJ blurts out.

"You're obnoxious," Hotch quickly adds.

"I'm an ass and obnoxious," Reid repeats, a smile playing at his lips.

"You can be really nitpicky sometimes," Morgan admits.

"Right."

It's Prentiss's turn to speak up. "You don't listen if what we say conflicts with a fact you know."

"Okay, good I'm all these things but none of you said that I ever put myself above the team because I don't ever." Reid is speaking very fast. As if he is excited.

The team nods in self-conscious agreement, still not understanding why they were asked to insult their friend.

"Here! Kate and I argued about the definition of classic narcissism last week and she knew that I would remember that and she also quoted Genesis chapter 23 verse 4. Read it." Reid's smile is obvious now.

JJ takes the Bible and reads the passage aloud. "I am a stranger and a sojourner with you. Give me property, forbear a place among you that I may bury my dead out of my sight," JJ finishes with a shrug.

"She wouldn't get it wrong unless it was on purpose," Reid answers.

"She's in a cemetery."

Reid nods at Morgan.

. . .

The team pulls up to the cemetery parking lot. Guns at the ready, they burst into the dilapidated shack at the far corner of the graveyard.

"Mathis stop!" Morgan bellows.

Mathis is on top of Jones choking her.

"MATHIS PLEASE!" Reid begs. Every instinct in his body says to kill Mathis but Reid knows he's a terrible shot.

Emotions clouding his judgment, Reid tosses his gun to the side and tackles Mathis off of Jones.

"Reid!" Morgan shouts, rushing to his friend's aid.

Hotch seizes the opportunity to pull Jone's unconscious body away from the action.

The scuffle between Reid and Mathis ends with Morgan cuffing Mathis.

"And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works."

"Revelations... 20... 13," Reid pants, rushing over to Jones.

"I can't find a pulse."

Reid pushes Hotch out of the way and begins chest compressions. Pounding harder and harder on her chest, Reid cries, pleading for Jones to wake up.

"Call an ambulance!" Hotch demands, his eyes never leaving Reid and Jones.

"Come on please PLEASE!"

"Reid. Reid! Stop- stop!"

Reid collapses on top of Jones sobbing.

"Let me," Hotch sternly, yet gently, insists. Sliding Reid off of Jones, Hotch begins performing CPR properly.

Two tense minutes pass before relief washes over the team as Jones gasps.

"Kate? Kate, can you hear me?"

Jones only coughs in response.

"Reid the ambulance is here," JJ says, placing a soft hand on his shoulder. "We gotta move."

. . .

Jones awakes three days later. Her body is weak from being beaten and starved for the better half of a week. The first thing she notices is how thirsty she is. The second thing is her hand in someone else's.

Jones looks down and sees that her hand is being held by Spencer Reid.

"Hi," she rasps.

Reid immediately snaps to attention.

Jones laughs. "You're cute when you're worried."

Reid sighs. "Yeah well I don't like being cute, I guess. How are you feeling?"

"I'm really really thirsty."

"You're not allowed to drink cold water yet, but I can get you a cup of lukewarm water."

"I'd drink room temperature flat soda at this point, Spencer."

Reid laughs. "Actually, soda dehydrates you and would actually be—"

"I know, I know," Jones chuckles.

Reid scratches the back of his neck. "Right. Of course. Uh spe- speaking of, uh, things that- that we know... uh, well, I- I know that I... I love you, Kate."

"I love you too, Spencer."

Reid leans down to kiss Jones, pulling away once actually touching her lips.

"Gah! They're really dry!" Realization crosses his face. "Water! I'm- I'm supposed to be getting you water!"

Jones shakes her head in laughter. "My little genius."