Small World Part 2 (HotchxReader)

~ five years later ~

Aaron was sitting in his room, thinking about how funny the universe is. Aaron was an up and coming BAU agent with the FBI. Currently, he was on assignment in Florida, where Oliver was police chief.

"Wonder if Oliver remembers me," Aaron pondered out loud. "I did 'die' like five years ago. He probably forgot all about me. Y/n too." Aaron sighed wistfully. "God I miss y/n."

There was an aggressive knock at Aaron's door.

"Aaron, open up!" demanded a deep voice.

"Huh, guess the police got news that couldn't be shared over the phone." Aaron grabbed his gun and looked through the peephole and relaxed when he saw Oliver staring back at him. "Officer l/n! Good to meet you-"

A slap cut him off.

"What was that for?"

"You died! You drove off and you died! Why the hell are you here?"

"I know, I know. I'm so sorry. But I needed a fresh start and that was the only thing I could think of. I'm so sorry." Aaron shuffled his feet. "In my defense, it's completely legal to go missing as long as you're not wanted for a crime."

Oliver slapped Aaron again. "Do you have any idea what your death did to y/n? DO YOU?"

Aaron lowered his head and took a few shallow breaths. "N- no. I couldn't have been more than a high school fling for y/n."

"You were- hell are so much more than that." Oliver proceeded to catch Aaron up on the past five years.

"Can- can I see y/n again?"

Oliver scoffed. "You know we're not from around here, right?"

Aaron sighed. "I'll pay for the flight and everything. Just, convince y/n to come down?"

"Why are you asking me?" Oliver asked, shaking his head.

"Don't I have to earn the approval of the big brother?"

Oliver's eyes widened. "If you're saying what I think you are-"

"I am. I've always been in love with y/n. I didn't know the feeling was mutual until now... So I wanna-"

Again, a slap cut Aaron off.

"You patch things up, you see where it goes, you respect whatever y/n decides. Got it?"

Aaron nodded.

Oliver pulled out his phone and called you.

You arrived in Florida the next morning.

"Ah, so you're the "y/n," Oliver l/n said was coming."

"Yeah. Do you by chance know what this is about?"

The man shook his head. "Nope. Sorry. He just said someone named y/n l/n is with him."

You thanked the man and went up to Oliver's room.

"Hey, y/n."

"Hey, Ollie. So why am I here?"

"How about you come inside?"

"Okay... What's this about? Why did you practically force me to come all the way to Flo—" you were interrupted by knocking. "I'll get it," you offered.

"NO!" Oliver shouted. "I- I don't think that's a good idea. Just- just sit down. I'll get it."

You looked annoyed at your brother before obeying.

Oliver opened the door but you couldn't see who it was from where you were sitting.

"Who is it?" you pestered.

"Hiya, firecracker," came the reply.

As Aaron looked at his love, a sadness began to squeeze him. He saw how brittle your once luscious hair was. He saw the bags under your eyes and how ill-ly fitted your tank top was. Aaron realized that he was looking at a mere shadow, an outline, of his precious y/n.

You froze and shut your eyes. "No. No no no. No one and I mean no one is allowed to call me that. No one except—"

"Except me. Y/n, it's me. I promise. I- I'm right here. Please open your eyes."

You slowly opened them, getting an eyeful of Aaron's apprehensive face. "This is it," you stated plainly. "I died. I don't remember dying, but I guess I died. This is my apparently my personal Heaven. Maybe I died on my way here. Who knows! All I know is that I—"

Aaron cut you off with a long kiss.

"Okay I am not dead I most certainly am not dead because that felt really, really real." You teared up and pulled Aaron in.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry. I didn't think it would hurt you so badly—"

"You didn't think it would- Aaron! You were- a- are! The love of my life! How could you possibly think that you dying wasn't doing to do anything?"

"I'm so sorry."

"Shut up," you replied, pulling Aaron back in and burying your face into the crook of your lover's neck.

"I'll just give you two a moment," Oliver said, stepping out into the hall.

The two of you eventually pulled apart, allowing Aaron to talk.

"So, when you said that I'm still the love of your life..."

"I- I did date a little, but nothing serious."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I almost got serious with this one guy, actually, but I kept thinking about you..."

"I'm so sor—"

"No, no. It- it's not your fault. I just, I don't know. I don't know."

"Well, I- I know it's been a long while but, uh, i- if you want," Aaron took a big breath, "I- I'm currently single?"

You closed your eyes and smiled. "Yes, Aaron. I would like to date you again."

"Thank you!" Aaron cheered, jumping on you and engulfing you in a hug.

"But!" you added. "I- I wanna take things... slow? I'm still not- uh- com- completely adjusted to the idea that-"

"Right, right."

"I mean you're alive! That's- that's- that is... like, the last thing I expected to happen today." You took a deep breath. "But I am willing to give us a chance."

Aaron smiled compassionately. "I'm so sorry for everything I did," he whispered. "I can't imagine what I put you through, but thank you for forgiving me."