You're My Kid (GideonxOC)

Warning: gender nonconforming hate ahead

Tonight's the night, Avery thought.

"Hey, Dad?" they asked. "You got a minute?"

"For you baby girl? All the time in the world." He smiled warmly at Avery, who was doing their best to hide their disgust.

"That's actually what I wanted to talk about." Avery walked over to their dad and stood in front of him. "No, no. Stay seated. Please," they requested.

Nodding, he sat back down. "So whaddya got to say?" He looked at them with undivided attention.

"Okay. So, um, what I'm about to say is really important and confusing so please don't interrupt me and please save all questions until the end, okay?"

"Sure thing, but you're worrying me now. Everything alright?"

"Just- just listen, okay?"

He nodded.

"Okay. Um, so you just called me 'baby girl'. While I enjoy the sentiment, stop? Please? Th- that's not the, um- the uh correct..." Avery took a deep breath. "I'm not a girl, okay?"

"Katie, what are you talking about?"

"Let me finish. I- I'm not a girl. Or a boy. I- I- I'm wh- what's called a- agender. That means that I don't identify as any gender."

"Well, how you identify's got nothing to do with this. It's who you are and you are a girl!"

"No, I'm not. See gender is more of a social construct? Th- that serves no real purpose—"

"Yes they do!" Avery's father angrily retorted. "You're a girl because you have a... a... you know!"

Avery rolled their eyes. He can't even say vagina, they thought.

"My vagina," they emphasized the word to make him uncomfortable, "is what makes me female. Gender and sex are two different things."

"No they aren't! You're just a confused little girl! You don't know anything about this! Y- you're just trying to be trendy!"

Avery began to tear up but stuck to their pre-planned script.

"I- I don't expect you to be supportive just yet, be- because this is confusing. But i- in time m- maybe you'll be okay with this."

"There is nothing to be okay with, Katie. You're just being rebellious."

Avery couldn't handle it and more.

"STOP CALLING ME THAT!" they shouted. "M- my name is Avery—"

"NO IT'S NOT!"

"A- and my pronouns are they and th- them," they continued, trying to remain unfazed by their father's yelling.

"You will stop this, RIGHT NOW YOUNG LADY!"

"SO YOU WOULD RATHER HAVE A DEAD LITTLE GIRL THAN A LIVING CHILD?"

Avery's father was shaking with anger.

"Get out."

"Wh- what?"

"You heard me. GET! OUT! NOW!"

Avery bolted out the door and ran down the block. Once they reached the culdesac they stopped and cried. They cried so hard they didn't hear the approaching footsteps.

"Katie? What's wrong?"

Avery looked up and saw Jason. Jason had always been sweet to Avery. He was a retired FBI agent. He was mostly into bird watching and reading, but never turned Avery away when they came to talk.

"M- my dad... n- no. My father ki- kicked m- me out."

Jason looked forlornly at the child.

"Come inside." He offered his hand to Avery.

Once inside, Jason sat Avery down on his sofa and handed them a tissue box.

"Now why would he do that?"

"I- I came out today."

Jason nodded.

"I told- told him that I- I'm agender."

"Mmm." Jason let a silence fall over the two of them before continuing. "So what's your name?"

"Avery," they replied, a twinkle of hope in their eye.

"Good name. I like it!"

Avery sniffled. "Thanks."

"Do you have anywhere to go?"

Avery shook their head.

"Then it's settled," Jason said as he stood up and went to the kitchen.

"Wh- what is? Where are you going?"

"I'm making you some tea. It'll calm you down before you go to bed."

"Sorry?"

"You're going to live with me," Jason said, not looking up from the kettle.

Avery's eyes grew large.

"You- you'd let me stay?"

"Of course," he replied calmly. "I'll go with you to get your stuff tomorrow. That is, of course, if you want to stay."

"Y- yes! Yes! Th- thank you, Jason."

Jason chuckled. "Dad," he corrected. "You're my kid now, best address me that way."

"Okay... Dad." Avery smiled. I think I'm gonna like it here, they thought.