Running on Empty (JJxfemale)

Warning: eating disorder discussed

Jamie Ishito was the newest member of the BAU. Strictly speaking, she was still a college student and only a junior agent who wasn't cleared for field assignments, but the team treated her like one of them nonetheless. 

Jamie was in her psych class, taught by Dr. Alex Blake, when JJ texted.

Hey, beautiful. How's class?

Jamie was about to respond when she was caught.

"Jamie? Is there something you'd like to share with the class?"

Jamie snapped to attention. "N- no Bla- um... no ma'am." Jamie turned a deep scarlet.

"That's what I thought. Now, would you be so kind as to tell the class what type of trauma could have triggered such violence as displayed in the Markerson case?"

Jamie responded correctly before texting JJ as discretely as possible.

U almost got me busted.

And I'm not beautiful. You're just saying that.

Class ended and everyone filed out. Everyone except Jamie.

"Sorry about that, ma'am."

Blake chuckled. "You don't have to call me ma'am anymore. Class is over."

"Right." Jamie shuffled her feet awkwardly. "Well um, I should get going."

"We can walk together. You're going to the cafeteria, aren't you?"

"Uh no, actually. I've um, I've got a lot of stuff to do so I'm just gonna eat a granola bar in my room. Th- thanks anyway, Blake."

Blake looked at Jamie suspiciously for a moment before nodding and exiting the lecture hall. "Oh, before I forget," Blake added, stepping back into the classroom, "the team's going out for drinks tonight. You should come."

"I'd rather no-" Jamie saw Blake's look and changed her mind. "Okay. Sure."

That night, everyone was enjoying themselves except for Jamie. After about an hour of 'drinking' her light beer, Jamie got up to go to the ladies room. She teetered a bit before completely collapsing.

"JAMIE!" JJ shouted, just barely catching here.

Morgan helped lift Jamie onto the table as Reid called an ambulance. Hotch and Morgan tried to wake Jamie up as Blake and Garcia comforted JJ.

"Shh, shh. Everything's gonna be okay. The EMTs are gonna take Jamie to the hospital and give her an IV and help her get better, okay?" Blake cooed.

Garcia just hugged JJ.

JJ was still awake into the next morning, groggy and mildly hungover. She was sitting next to Jamie's bed, anxiously waiting for her to wake up.

"JJ?" Jamie asked in an embarrassed voice.

"Jamie!" she cried, hugging her tightly.

"Hi."

JJ composed herself and went straight to business.

"Do you know why you're here?"

Jamie played dumb and said no.

"Blake told me she has almost never seen you in the cafeteria on campus."

Jamie scooted away from JJ.

"Why aren't you eating?"

Jamie shook her head.

"No. Jamie Ishito you answer me right now!"

Jamie whimpered. "I- I want to be beautiful like you're always telling me I am."

JJ softened. "Sweetheart, you are. That's why I tell you."

"But, I don't feel it. I feel like, if I could be thinner I'd be pretty, like you."

JJ sadly shook her head. "You're beautiful when you're healthy, okay?"

Jamie shook her head.

"I think you're beautiful when you smile and when you're honest with me. If you can only do one I'd rather it be the latter, okay?"

Jamie nodded, cracking a tiny smile.

"Hey, there she is!"