Not Like This (PrentissxReader)

WARNING: panic attack described

You lean against the rough, cinderblock wall of the convenience store. Your breath is labored, your whole body trembling. You feel your chest cave with each shallow breath and your stomach swirling.

A panic attack. That's what's happening to you. You have no idea why. Maybe it's because you just saw someone who looks exactly like Emily Prentiss, your long-term girlfriend. It's been months since she died, and you still feel awful about how you two left things.

"Emily, please! Why won't you tell me?"

"I've already told you as much as I can, y/n."

"What you've told me is that you're going on a very dangerous case. What else is new??"

"Y/n, please. I—"

"Get out."

"Y/n..."

"Get out! Go on your 'oh so dangerous' mission."

Emily turns to leave.

"I love you," she calls over her shoulder in a broken voice.

You scoff and go into another room.

You continue gasping for air, replaying the last time you saw Emily over and over. You dig your fingers into the wall, leaving bloody streaks on the blocks.

Your vision begins to blur and you slump forward, your legs giving out from underneath you. You fall to the ground, your back against the wall; one hand on your chest as you desperately thrash for air, the other gripping the wall.

Just then, you hear footsteps echoing around the corner and the voice you never forgot.

"Y/n?"

You weakly lift your head and try to focus on the figure ahead. Your vision is blurring due to a lack of oxygen, but you manage to identify the figure as...

"E- E-" you wheeze. As you try to take another breath you begin to sob hysterically, shaking all the while.

Emily sees your distress and rushes to your side.

"Y/n? Y/n, what's wrong? What's happening? Are you al- alright?" Panic and shock are clouding her brain as she frantically tries to help.

"E- Em?"

"Yes, yes! I- it's me! I'm alive, I'm okay!" As if to prove that she isn't lying, Emily grabs your hand that is on the wall and holds it close to her chest.

You begin to see double as the black spots become larger and more frequent.

"'m sorry..." you sputter before your body goes limp. You slump against Emily's chest.

"Y/n? Y/N!" Emily shouts, holding your face up to hers, your lips slightly parted. Greater panic swells in Emily as she realizes what's been happening.

"Please, y/n! Wake up! W- wa-" Emily cuts herself off as she chokes back a sob.

Pushing you off of her, Emily rolls you onto your back and is horrified to find that you stopped breathing altogether.

"No! No no no no no no no!" Emily climbs over you and begins performing CPR.

"WAKE UP!" she angrily shouts. "PLEASE!" she pleads.

"Please," she whimpers. "Not like this," she cries. "Not- not when I c- could have- have saved you," she sobs defeatedly as she pushes on your chest.

"Not like this."