the brothers. intro

"Man, hurry up. We can't be waiting all day on you!" Ronnie's son, Keith yelled all the way downstairs up to Elijah, his cousin.

"Don't hate me 'cause you ain't me," Elijah told Keith with confidence from the balcony of the staircase, buttoning up his suit. Tonight was supposed to be extremely important. All six of them had to behave, and look their best. They were attending an honorary event for entertainment in their hometown, Los Angeles. New Edition would be one out of the many artists to be honored.

"He still up there buttoning up that d*mn suit?" Algee chimed in, checking his watch. "We're all gonna be late to the event, and I'm not letting Dad chew me out this time."

"We get it." Woody interrupted.

Algee is Ralph's son, the middle child and the sweetest. He's the one who keeps everything together, especially when it came down to breaking up the many physical altercations these cousins had. Although they're only cousins, they fight like brothers. They all shared the same bond their fathers shared with one another, and that's what made them stand out.

Nervously, an irritated Keith paced around the marble living room.

"What's wrong withchu' Keith? Loosen up, d*mn. We'll get there." Bryshere said, popping a bottle of his Uncle Ricky's liquor, and drinking straight from it.

"Yea," Keith looked at Bryshere with sarcasm written all over his forehead. "We won't be there on time like your bossy a** pops wanted, but we'll be there. Algee, I'm with you man. I'll be d*mned if I get fussed at for these beauty queens." He pointed two the second story of the mansion, speaking on Elijah and Lucas.

"We ain't even got to the event yet, let alone the f*cking after party and your a** is already drinking." Algee said, shaking his head.

"We ready?" Luke jogged downstairs with Elijah right behind him.

"What were ya'll doing up there?" Keith questioned.

"Calm down. You know we had to get spiffy. I plan to meet my future wife tonight." Luke stated.

"And I wanna be the president," Bryshere chuckled. "Let's go before we extend our lateness."

"That ain't a word, but ok." Luke shrugged.

On their way out, Keith attempted to trip Elijah, hoping he would fall. He was more of the reason they took so long in the house. It wasn't really Lucas. Elijah was the one who worried so much about appearance, yet he was the reason why they were always late to every event. Especially the New Edition events..

*******
"What took ya'll so long to get here anyway?" Ronnie questioned the boys at their table.

Woody, Bryshere, Keith, and Algee looked directly at Elijah and Luke.

"Pops, you know appearance is everything for me and Elijah." Luke shrugged nervously, explaining to his father Johnny.

"You have to remember that you guys are a reflection of us. When ya'll look crazy, we all look crazy. Even if it's only twelve of us." Mike Bivins stated.

"Man we ain't trynna hear all that," Bryshere mumbled, slouching in his seat.

"What you said?" Mike scolded. "And sit up. Act like I raised you right."

Bryshere sighed, obeying his father. He was 23 years old, still living under his mother and father. He had dreams of pursuing a musical career, like his father and uncles, but Mike was against it. Mike saw something different for his son. It definitely wasn't rap. Mike didn't wanna feel like Bryshere was obligated to do music because his father and uncles do it.