chap. nineteen

Algee and Shelby

"Girl just tell him you want to put this whole thing on hold. I'm sure he'll understand." Shelby tried to comfort Amber on the phone. Algee tightened the grip around her waist.

"I just don't believe him. He told me when we first got together that he'd never do me like this." Amber cried. "Now he won't leave."

"He knows he's wrong. He doesn't wanna leave knowing you're angry at him." Shelby said calmly. "Hol' up, I'm about to put Shar on threeway."

Shelby and Shar put their differences aside for the sake of family and their relationships. Couldn't let high school drama affect their lives as adults and mothers.

"Who you on the phone with?" Algee asked in his sleepy voice.

"Amber." Shelby mouthed.

"Well damn! How long ya'll gonna stay on the phone?" Algee rubbed his eyes.

"Amber who you on the phone with?!" Keith yelled in the background.

"I thought I told you to get the hell outta my house!" Amber yells back.

"Hello?" Shar answered the phone groggily.

"Hey." Amber spoke.

"Hey girl. How are things with you and Keith?" Shar asks, excited to hear Amber's sweet voice.

"Not good at all." Amber sighs.

"Oh shit. What happened?"

"Keith went out with another girl and cheated. That's what happened." Shelby spat.

"I'm sorry to hear that Amb. Are you gonna be okay? You know Luke and I are here for you." Shar said, comforting Amber.

Amber's voice cracked up, "I don't think I'm gonna be okay. At this point, I'm just tired of being put through bullshit in relationships and I'm about ready to give up."

"Stop giving Keith a hard time. He didn't mean anything by it." Algee chimed back in.

"So it's okay to cheat on your woman and expect her to be cool with it?" Shelby argued.

"No. But he didn't mean anything by it. He ain't know what he was getting himself into." Algee said to Keith's defense.

"Algee, if it happens once he's gonna think it's okay and it will continue. Cheating is cheating." Shar said.

"Mind your business." Shelby threw a pillow at Algee's head.

"Don't make me put that wood on you again," Algee threatened, recalling last night's events.

"Hush." Shelby flipped him off.

"Ya'll so damn nasty!" Shar laughed.

"But are you gonna be okay Amb? You know me and Algee are here for you." Shelby cooed.

"Yea, I'll be fine. Ya'll just gave me the confidence. Now I wanna talk to him." Amber said. "And we may have a small bump in the road."