chap. forty

Day of Taylor's Funeral

Omniscient.
"I'm not going to let you go by yourself." Keith stated in the mirror as he fixed his tie. As normal, Keith woke Amber up in time for the funeral. She had been dealing with mixed emotions ever since she was informed Taylor wasn't going to make it.

Keith insisted he go. Amber needed her man by her side although she felt like it's better she attend Taylor's services alone. Keith wasn't having it. He told Elijah about it, and Elijah was gonna come too. He needed some church in his life.

"Baby, I'll be right back. You could've stayed home and got rest if you wanted to." Amber suggested for the third time.

"No," he shook his head. "Are you almost ready? I'm sure you'd wanna be there early for the viewing of the body."

There was nothing more they could do. Taylor was so weak, so the Lord called her home. The family of Taylor invited the Doctors and nurses to the funeral services.

"I'm ready." Amber put on her left pump and applied her red matte lipstick. Keith fed Milo and put water in his bowl, then they left.

The ride to Taylor's services was quiet. Amber uttered not a word. Keith brushed her quietness off. He could only imagine what was running through Amber's head. No matter what they've been arguing about this past week, he had to be there for the love of his life.

Amber cried the entire service. Elijah and Keith comforted her. After the services, they were headed to the burial site. "I'll be at my car waiting. I don't wanna see this, or else I'll break down myself. Here, take this." He placed a lily in Amber's hand.

Amber grasped the flowers, along with the lily Elijah gave her and put it on Taylor's casket. Tears began to stream down Amber's cheeks upon seeing them lower Taylor's body. "She isn't suffering anymore. She's upstairs. Let's go home babe."

"Nurse Brooks, on behalf of our family, we'd like to thank you for being apart of our Taylor's life. She would always tell us about you. You're so beautiful, special, and divine. I'm sure you'll go far in your medical career. I'm praying you get that PhD. Please don't give up." Taylor's aunt, Richie approached.

"No, thank you. I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to be apart of Taylor. She inspired me to keep pushing through. She's forever in my heart." Amber said, looking up at the sky. She could've said more but she didn't want to cause a scene.

"We'd like you to have this," Richie said, giving Amber a necklace with Taylor's name engraved in it.

"Thank you so much!" Amber took the necklace and embraced the woman, sobbing in her arms.

Richie pulled away, "Stay blessed Amber. Nice to finally meet you Keith." Richie left to be with the family.

Keith held her hand as they walked to his car. "How you feeling?"

"I'm fine." Amber wiped her face.

"We'll talk about it later on tonight after your massage. You deserve it." Keith said, opening the door for her to get in. Closing it, he got in the car and they left the site.

"Keith, I don't think I deserve anything. I've been ignoring you and putting work and studies before you. It's not fair how I've been treating you." Amber protested.