chap. twentyeight

Omniscient.

"Bae, I told you I'm always out here working and hustling for us. Do I question you like this?" Keith ran his hands down his face for what seemed like the hundredth time since he's been on FaceTime with Amber.

"Keith I just don't want us to go down the same road again. I'm going to feel vulnerable again and I don't want you to cheat again. I can't go through anything else like that." Amber said as a lump formed in her throat.

Keith lowkey found it cute. Her facial expressions; happy, sad, or angry turned him on. She was so beautiful and he definitely wasn't letting her slip through his fingers again.

"Aww, baby don't cry." Keith cooed. "I know I got the baddest woman walking. I'm not going to cheat on you ever again. I promise."

She wiped her tears. "I don't know what to say next. I guess we'll talk later."

"What you think about moving to LA?" Keith asked out of the blue.

"What?" She asked to make sure she was hearing him correctly.

"I want you to move to LA. You can get a fresh new start over here with me. Get away from all that bullshit in Houston." Keith suggested.

"That's a big step. My whole family is here." Amber said.

"It'll take time but I think it's best for you." Keith said. He knows the shit she's going through in Houston. He figured that if Amber moved, she wouldn't stress or cry as much, she'd be safe.

He also recently bought an upscale condo.

He came up with ideas to surprise her since her birthday was coming up.

"Guess what's next week?" Amber changed the subject.

"What?" He asked, fake confused.

"You forgot about my birthday already?" She asked.

"No girl I'm just messing with you. I know your birthday's coming up. What you wanted to do?" He rubbed his waves.

"I never thought of any ways to celebrate yet." She said. One thing she wasn't going to do was spend her twenty second birthday with her family knowing they don't care for her as much.

"You thought about doing something with your family?" He asked. "Maybe they'll put all that shit to the side for you."

"No, they won't. You don't know them. They love making everything about themselves." Keith cringed when she said that, for it brought him back to the stuff he and cousins go through on a daily basis.

"I get that part. You forgot my family is the same way. I just feel like you're making up excuses from this point." Keith chuckled.

"I'm not spending my twenty second birthday with those crazy people." Amber stated.

"I want to meet them," Keith said. "You met all of my family, how come I can't meet yours?"

"Keith, I'm not having this conversation with you. I'll talk to you later. I have to get ready for work." She spat. She started picking up night shifts at the women and children's hospital, her workplace. She'd be up on her feet all night saving lives, and sleep during the day.

"I don't agree with your new schedule. Maybe it's the hospital bringing all this stress upon you." Keith commented.

"It's apart of the process Keith. I wouldn't expect you to understand." Amber said.

"No, I understand. I understand perfectly, cause not only are you working night shifts now, but you're in school getting a PhD." Keith said. "I cleared my whole schedule just to make time for FaceTime."