chap. eighteen

Houston, Texas
Keith DeVoe, Amber Brooks

Keith had a nice candle lit dinner set up for Amber at her home, but she was caught up into work at the moment so he wanted to surprise her. He also persuaded her half brother, Jason to leave them alone for the night. Hopefully, for Keith, Amber wouldn't react to harsh. She was the perfect woman and he couldn't afford to lose her.

Not now. When he needed a good woman in his life the most.

"Amber, I'm sorry. Tonight I just wanna--I just wanna confess my love for you. I've never done anything like this before, and it's eating me up just as much as it hurts you." Keith rehearsed. He felt like the dumbest man in the world to 'rehearse' how he was confessing his infidelity.

"What the hell am I doing? It's over with." Keith whispered, staring over at the Houston skyline.

Ronnie thought it would be a better idea for Keith to come clean in a calm, peaceful atmosphere, but no one knew how Amber was going to react. Keith was hoping no glasses, plates, food, or drink would be involved.

But like stated before, you never know how she'll react.

Keith set the rest of it up, his father helped him out with the whole dinner setting. Keith instructed Amber to go to a hotel suite, shower, put on make up, and he had one of Ronnie's assistants send her a dress and heels. He adjusted his trail of rose petals and had romantic music playing in the background, like Nite N' Day by Al B. Sure!

The sound of keys jingling in the door snapped Keith out of his thoughts. He quickly dimmed the lights.

"What's this about?" Amber asked, following Keith's trail of rose petals.

"You'll know once you get there. Follow Daddy." Keith hissed, guiding her to the dinner table.

"Keith it's not my birthday or a holiday. I don't get this set up." Amber panicked.

"Can't a man do something nice for his woman once in a while? Damn." Keith chuckled.

Amber pouts. "Ok, I'm sorry for that one. But babe, I cooked this nice dinner all by myself, I bought you a nice dress and shoes, show some appreciation."

"Alright Keith! I get it." Amber laughed at his seriousness.

"You almost hurt my feelings girl. Let's pray before we eat." Keith said.

They joined hands across from one another, Amber leading prayer.

"Lord, we humbly come to you for your divine blessing. We ask that this food be as good as it looks and that the night be a peaceful environment. We ask that you continue to watch over us as a young black couple, guiding us step by step everyday. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen."

"Amen," Keith followed.

"This food better be good." Amber joked.

For the next twenty minutes, they ate and joked in silence until they were full. Keith felt like it was the perfect time to come clean.