chap. thirteen

The Devoe Family
Atlanta, GA

Keith.
As irritating as my parents were when they get caked up, I admired their marriage so much. I hope and pray I get like that someday. I started to forget why we were in the ATL in the first place, then I remembered my Dad was handling business, and this is my Mother's hometown so she was basically here on a visit.

"Keith are you coming with me or are you following your Dad to his interview?" Ma asked. People swear they wanna be an only child but they don't realize the pros and cons of it all.

Being an only child is not always about automatically getting what you want and receiving attention. I honestly don't feel like an only child because of my cousins. Oh, of course there's way more than just me, Wood, Algee, Elijah, Lucas, and Bryshere.

Uncle Bobby has been getting busy since the Mr. Telephone Man days. Landon is the eldest son of my Uncle Bobby's kids and many more. Woody is the second oldest. Uncle Rizz has a daughter along with Algee. Bell Biv Devoe each have only one child. Fair enough.

"Ma, I think I'ma just go with Pops today." I said.

"The gag is, you didn't have a choice!" She teased. "Ya Daddy is supposed to be super busy today. You'll get bored following him around."

"What?" I furrowed my brows. "Why can't I go with Dad today? And why ask if you were gonna make me come with you anyways?"

"Keith you rarely go places with me." She said.

"Mom you're embarrassing and there's no other way to put it." I said.

"How so?" She asked, putting her hands on her hips.

"You look so f*cking sexy when you do that." Dad passed by, smacking my Mom dead on the ass.

See what I mean? Annoying as hell. I wish Amber was around so she could see what I'm talking about. She thinks it cute. I think the shit is aggravating.

"Please do that some place else." I scoffed.

"Keith, how would you feel about me getting pregnant again?" She randomly asks.

"Mom where is this going? Oh, don't tell me I'm gonna spend the whole day withchu talkin' 'bout you and Dad's sex life." I threw my head back.

"It was just a question baby." She kissed my lips. Yes, my Mom still kisses me on the lips. I'm tired of them treating me like a kid.

"Well if ya'll want my honest opinion, I'm not with it." I said.

"Why not? You said you was getting tired of being the only child." Dad said.

"Man you pushin' fifty and Mom is almost in her forties." I said.

"Black don't crack son. If we want another child, we gonna get busy." He said.

"Good luck with that. Don't let me know how it works out either." I said. "Ma you almost ready? You been playing makeup artist in the bathroom for over an hour."

"It ain't like you giving us any Grandchildren. You and Amber would make some beautiful kids." He said.

"I know she's beautiful and I know I'm a fine a** n*gga. My career is just getting off the ground and I can't make time to drop what I'm doing to make a baby. Besides, Amber is celibate." I retorted.