chap. six

Family Reunion - A Month Later

The flight to Birmingham, Alabama was tense. Tension was thick. Elijah grew jealous of Woody landing the role for the 'independent film' he had been ranting about. Little did Elijah know, Woody used his script and beat him to the audition.

The only people who didn't bring a girl around were Woody, Luke, Elijah, and Bryshere.

The family reunion wasn't any better, after all, their grandparents still cannot get along and neither can the wives.

"So wassup with you and Shelby? Ya'll still goin' steady?" Woody sat across from Algee with his third plate of food in his hand, watching Shelby from a distance.

"I was nervous at first but when I got to know her better, she opened up to me and I opened up to her. Now we're working on communication. No sex." Algee munched on his fried chicken.

"These collard greens are hittin' the spot! Grandma hooked it up!" Woody rubbed his stomach.

"Look at this n*gga. All boo'd up and sh*t." Algee chuckled and looked over at Keith and Amber, who were hugged up on a wooden bench, clowning with the kids.

"I remember these family reunions. Back in the 90's. Dad would show up with his gold and sh*t trynna be all flashy." Woody reminisced.

"Uncle Bobby always trynna steal the show. He wants all the attention for himself and it's been that way." Algee recalled.

"Here we go," Woody groaned.

"Wassup brothers?" Luke patted Algee and Woody on the shoulder. Algee rolled his eyes, not wanting to be bothered with Lucas.

Woody sighed, and chowed on his Southern cooked meal.

"I bet it feels to not have two crazy women fighting over you this year, huh?" Luke asked as he took of his sunglasses.

Woody simply nodded.

"You, Algee, introduce Shelby to the old ladies in the house. I went in there to use the bathroom, they thought Shelby was for me!" Luke laughed. Luke was known to take his cousins' girls, mostly the ones they brought around the family.

"Oh h*ll nah." Algee said, standing up. "You wanna finish that for me?" He playfully slapped Luke's cheek, pointing the plate. He left to bring Shelby and Armani inside so he could introduce them to his grandmother, aunts, cousins, and mother.

Basketball With the Men

"Say young blood, you trynna play? I can still kick your a--who is that?" Uncle Tyson whistled at a young woman, his great niece who walked by with a crop top, tight ripped jeans, and wedges. This is Alabama for you.