Chapter 28

We hopped out of the car and rushed inside to get ready. It was already 5:15 leaving us with only 45 minutes to be at the party. I ran into my room and quickly slipped on my dress, the more I looked at it in the mirror the more I loved it. Switching on the curling iron I redid my make up, adding top liner and smokey eye shadow. I pulled on some bracelets and dangle earrings as the iron finished heating. Putting up the top of my hair in a clip, I started curling the underneath. My hair being thin, I moved onto the top layer after 5 minutes. I finished and turned off the iron, grabbing the hair spray and spraying my hair way more than needed. But I was nervous and didn't want to have to worry about my appearance all night. Brushing my teeth and spraying perfume along my neckline and behind my ears. It was a trick I learned from Lauren. If you spray behind your ears, when people hug you they'll smell it.

I opened my closet and walked in to the shoe rack. Should I wear heels? Jamie did say dress fancy. Sighing, I looked over my options. Reaching behind a pile of clothes, I pulled out a pair of black pumps that I don't remember quite remember buying. Fitting my feet into the soles, I wobbled out of the closet. I really can't walk in heels. As I stumbled over to the door, I grabbed a clutch purse out of the top drawer, throwing in my phone and a back up supply of make up. Heaven knows I need it, my cheap make up always seems to rub off.

The door opens as I reach for the handle, and Lauren struts in. Her hand placed on her hip as she takes a lap around the room, stopping in front of me and posing sassily. I couldn't hold in my laughter at her entrance and found myself gasping for air. Lauren was the funniest person I knew and I really needed to laugh, I was stressed out about tonight.

"How do I look?" she joked, pursing her lips outward.

Even though she was kidding around, she really did look pretty. The deep green dress fit her well, it was elegant with its high neckline, but sexy at it's short bottom and cut out chest. But I wouldn't trade it for mine. Mine made me look fantastic, not to be self centered. But it really did, it was simple and sleek. Tight all around and showing off my curves that I just found out I had.

"You look great, I love those shoes." I complimented, gazing down at her white wedges.

"I look great? You look hot Ava, we should go to parties more often I like dressing up." she smiled spinning in circles to make her dress flow. I giggled at her and stepped down the stairs, making sure to hold on to the railing as my heels trembled under me. I really need to practice walking in these.

"Who's taking us?" I ask stepping off the last stair and turning around to look back at her. She made her way down without a simple glance to the railing. Show off.

"I guess Harry is, I mean no one else is here and neither of us have cars yet." she shrugged eyeing the room for what I figure Harry. "Go check the rest of the downstairs for him, I'll check upstairs."

I'm glad she assigned herself to the upstairs. One more trip up and down those steps in these heels and I was sure I would have an accident. I slowly walked around the house, not sure whether to call out or not. But it was getting close to 6 and we really needed to leave.

"Harry?"  I said softly peeking into the kitchen and doing the same to the living room and den. All that was left was the theater room unless he was upstairs or outside which I doubt he was. Or unless he left without telling us, leaving us stranded here. Just the thought twisted my insides and I raised my voice louder and stepped into the theater room.

"Harry?!"

He sat on the couch, watching a film I don't know the name of. I jumped, not expecting him to be in here, but relieved at the same time. He appeared very cozy lying with a blanket covering him and I almost didn't want to bother him.