Chapter 58

They say that living life on the road is one of loneliness. That the constant movement is only to fill a certain void in life. But I believed that was a rather biased saying.

We took to the highway again, leaving Tampa and heading to Atlanta, beginning our 9 hour journey.

I watched out the window of the media room on the bus as the trees alongside the road's edge morphed into a blur. I enjoyed the openness of it all; the sense of adventure it gave as we traveled the state.

The muffled sounds of the boys playing a board game and chatting drowned in my thoughts.

I attempted to focus but my mind wandered elsewhere. Something had changed in the last couple of days.

Ever since the kiss, Harry had been the only topic I could focus on. And even then, still nothing was clear. In fact, it was all quite hazy.

I hadn't spoken to him since it, and I was lacking in knowledge. He didn't seem to be going through the same hell I was. If anything, he seemed out of the fog. Clear.

He had been more social, outgoing. He even laughed a bit.

I knew something had changed when he crawled into the bunk with me last night. The second he roped his arms around me I knew something was different. Harry wasn't bold enough to do something like that. He was hesitant, always unsure of himself. Nothing like that would ever happen on his own, or without something giving him that confidence.

Curiosity bounced around my head but I ignored it. It wasn't something I was ready to act on just yet; or maybe ever for that matter.

I would let it simmer, give it time to see how it all plays out. But multiple scenarios bombarded my brain and it only chilled me more.

"You're worrying too much." I shook my head, finally tearing my eyes from the window.

I glanced to the boys where they sat huddled around the small table in the center of the room, poker chips strung around them in hasty organization.

My eyebrows raised as I noticed Harry sitting with them, dealing cards like he had done it everyday of his life. I lowered them again when I thought the current situation over once more. This was the new Harry, at least for now.

"You sure you don't want to play?" I met Louis' sympathetic eyes. He had done everything in his power the last couple of days to include me in every aspect of this tour, seeing I was rather isolated. His concern warmed me, as I sometimes forgot we were siblings. But I didn't want his sympathy. I wanted clarity.

I gave a small smile, shaking my head. "I'm sure."

They began to play and I quickly found myself intrigued by the game. It had been forever since my phone or an electronic device hadn't been my form of entertainment, and this simple amusement instantly aroused my curiosity.

Within the first couple minutes I was sat beside Louis, watching him as he made his move. He was quick to show me his cards, letting me become his helper even though I roughly had the idea of the game.

"All I need is a 10 to have a royal flush," he said lowly as Harry passed out the next set of cards.

"And then what?" My eyes trailed Harry's hand as he went. He grinned, "Then we win."

Louis was dealed the card and I watched attentively as he flipped it over. It was a ten. The corners of his mouth twitched up but he quickly hid the secret victory, seeing he wanted the others to think he was bluffing.

"I'm all in." Liam spoke, pushing his impressive stack into the middle of the table. I watched Louis' face for any sign of doubt but it remained impassive. "He's good." I thought.