Chapter 39

A ray of light hit my eyelid, causing me to stir out of my soft sleep. I sat up slowly on my elbows, groaning as I stretched out my legs in front of me. A slight wave of confusion flooded over me as I briefly forgot where I was. I was in Harry's bed. I must've forgotten to wake up earlier to sneak out, to avoid getting caught by anyone in his room in the morning like I used to do when Harry and I were seeing each other in secret before.

Noticing I was alone in bed, a slight frown pressed onto my lips. The sound of running water rang from underneath the bathroom door and for some reason it relieved me that he was taking a shower and hadn't left the room completely. Pulling myself out of bed, I rubbed my eyes with the balls of my fists, walking over to the bedroom door and pausing.  Quietly pressing my ear to the door, I listened closely into the hallway. Nothing. Holding my breath, I slowly opened the door, peaking out then scampering across the hall when I confirmed the coast was clear.

Closing the door to my room silently behind me, I padded over to the bathroom. I turned the tap to warm, splashing the water over my face then washing it in attempts to wake me up. I had slept so good last night. It's been awhile since I've slept that way and it was refreshing to feel so rested. Patting my face down with a towel, I stepped back into the main room, unplugging my phone from the charger and sitting on the edge of my bed. I unlocked it, quickly sending Anne a text.

: I need to talk to you, Elephant Bar at 2?

Tossing my phone onto the bed behind me, I walked into the closet, grabbing a pair of black jeans and a red flannel. I quickly dressed, slipping on my white converse and double knotting the frayed laces. Taking a breath, I paused in the middle of the room, thinking of my next move. It had been a while since I've actually looked decent and I decided to push the urge to keep my bed head and go make up less away. So I flicked on my straightener, applying top liner and mascara as I waited for it to heat up.

As far as make up goes, I didn't wear that much. Anymore, I should say. I remember wearing everything imaginable. Concealer, bronzer, blush, powder, primer, eye shadow, mascara, top and bottom liner, and lipstick. The worst part is, I would wear that all at once. I was the definition of a make up face and I'm sure everyone at school noticed that too. I smiled to myself, thinking back on the embarrassing memory as I ran the straightener through my hair. It had been a while since I've worn that much make up. Ninth, and half of tenth grade year to be specific. I was now a senior and usually, if any, only had a small line of top eyeliner on and a thin coat of mascara.

The pathetic part of it all is that the only reason I ever wore that much make up in the first place is because I felt I should. Everyone else did. I was never the prettiest or most popular girl in my school. Actually, I was the exact opposite. I was a loner in school. I still am. The thought of returning to school in less than a week made me want to puke and I shook the thoughts from my head and finished my hair. I wasn't gonna stand here and have a pity party for myself.

Stepping back and looking in the mirror, I was actually surprised with what I saw. My eyes were bold and lively due to the touch of makeup and my blonde hair flowed onto my shoulders and down to the tip of my bottom. I felt pretty. I touched my cheek, shocked by my appearance. I never remembered feeling like this...looking like this. My thoughts grew almost to the point of conceited but it was so unusual to me. The reflection was so plain, yet attractive in a way. But I needed a pop of color to finish the look off. I peered around the dresser, grabbing my red lipstick and applying a coat. Stepping back once again, I looked in the mirror. My stomach grew tight at the thought of going out like this. I felt I looked good, but I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I would rather blend in with everyone else.

Just as I was about to go to the bathroom to wash it all off, Lauren opened the door, stopping in her tracks as she got a look at me. Her eyes went wide and mouth opened a bit, making me gulp and suddenly feel anxious. I began to regret putting any make up on to start with.