Chapter 30

The rest of my day was spent sleeping and silently crying, usually at the same time. No dreams came as I slept and I cursed at my mentality as I lay somewhat asleep. I was aware of everything around me, when my door opened occasionally than shut after a few seconds; and when Lauren quietly brought in a tray of food and kissed the top of my head before leaving me to my lonesome self. 

The only times I pried myself off my queen bed was to pee and pick at the food on the platic tray. Though I wasn't hungry and ended up throwing up the small portion of food I ate later. I wiped my mouth as I finished hurling up everything left in my stomach, then sank down further onto the floor. Why I was crying, I'm not sure, but I never went 10 minutes without a tear escaping off my bottom eyelid.

It seemed the world hated me at the moment, and everything in it was against me. And for that reason, I let myself crumble until I was just a pile of rubble underneath a broken cavern of misunderstood people. And that's what most of us were. Everyone, including myself, is just in their own personal coma. Mine just happens to feel worse than it should.

The all too familiar feeling entered my throat again and I threw myself over the toilet, barely making it in time for the bile to come rocketing out of my system. My insides cramped and ached more and more after every upchuck and I placed my hand over my middle groaning. After multiple minutes I found the feeling mostly gone and took the advantage; Stumbling to my feet and making a bee line for the bed, but I stopped 3/4 of the way there. I quickly went over to the small book case in the corner of the room that I had just recently noticed. I grabbed a book at random and hurriedly threw myself onto the bed, the feeling had come back briefly as I stood but disappeared as quickly as it came as I returned to my horizontal state on the bed.

I ran my eyes over the tattered yet plain book; The words The Dynasty of Ash written across the spine and cover. It was a rather thick book and not very encouraging as there was no summary on the backside or critic reviews. Of course, I happened to grab the most uninteresting book in the bunch. But there was no going back and it was this beaten up thing or nothing.

Needless to say I read for 2 hours. It was much more than what I was expecting. I folded the corner of the page (page 253 out of 654 to be exact) and went to relieve myself in the bathroom. My thoughts jumbled with all my new found information this book offered. It was about this young girl Paisley, a 16 year old genius and former child prodigy. Already enrolled in her 3rd year of college, she is slowly taking up a place in the world. Though, the book's setting was in the 1960's. But to my surprise I find myself alike the fictional character. Despite the extreme smartness part, Paisley's very stubborn and devoted, somewhat like myself. But the part that I connect the most with is that neither of us have very many friends and have trouble making them, not to mention we're both a bit over sensitive.

I quickly finish up and eagerly run back to the bed and start reading again; Smoothing out the bent page corner and continuing where I left off.

"The bleakness of the dreary city tested my senses..thus pulling over a thin invisible lense to what became of the world around me."

I read on, unaware of Lauren's presence in the room as the scene of Paisley Jones overtaking the 1960's version city of Chicago took shape in my head.

"Knock knock."

I peered over at her from across the room, neatly placing a folded piece of paper I'd ripped out of a notebook in between the pages. She took a seat on the edge of my bed, looking over the book.

"It's good." I mumbled before she could comment. We sat in silence, the sounds of the house ringing in the background.

"You look better."