Part I • Chapter I

Setting the Scene

Sang

Sang

I wonder what it would have been like to live before the world almost ended?

Right. That might have been a little bit dramatic. I mean, the obviously the world hasn't entirely ended and people are alive. I was living proof of that.

However, my books describe a different world than what I am used to, which makes me think that I could have had a different life.

Around one hundred and fifty years ago, during the early 21st century, much of the earth's population was wiped out in what later became known as the Medical Cataclysm.

It was discovered that those who survived the attack shared common ancestors somewhere during the human evolutionary process. Ancestors that passed on genes that gave their offspring an edge for survival.... magic.

Surprisingly, back then nobody believed that magic existed. A strict contradiction to the belief of the world today. From what I've read, ancient humans believed that anything magical was not only fantasy, but fantastical in nature.

There might be some truth to the fantastical aspect, but it is not entirely so. For example, people can't transform into animals, conjure things out of nowhere, or fly on broomsticks. No, magic is much more subtle than the storybooks portray.

Magical ability is actually something much more than that, it is a part of the essence of who a person is on a biological level. Not only does it determine who they are, but it also determines their place in this world.

For example, nobody in district six has any level of magic ability that is of notable importance.

What does that mean?

Our society is split into six districts - all based on a person's magical ability and strengths. Ruling above all of the other districts is the Capital, where only the most powerful reside - both politically and magically. As you move up the number of districts, the stronger the populace is within that district, and the wealthier.