Part III • Chapter XVI

History

Sang

Sang

"Chet, what happened?" I forced the words past my numb lips, desperate to find out answers. Even if knowing put me in danger, I didn't care anymore. I couldn't stand the alternative. I felt like I had gained, and lost, my Papa all in the same moment, and it was breaking me.

I needed to know. "Please tell me!"

"This isn't the place." Chet hissed, and turned around, grabbing my arm in a tight grip, before pulling me along with him.

I hardly paid any attention to where he was taking me, but then again I really didn't care. I knew now, somehow deep within me, that he wouldn't hurt me at least.

Even though he was still a jerk.

Instead, I could only think about the little that I did recall about Papa.

He was an Adair, that much I knew because of Chet. Yet, that didn't make any sense, I had never heard of any kind of relationship between the Adair family and the Gentreau family. But then again, I didn't know very much about political things, and nobody really had told me much.

But if Chet had known me, why wouldn't he have told me earlier?

I came back to myself when I realized that Chet had pulled me into the same clearing where I had previously escaped from Roe and Payton. I glanced up at him, still following obediently, as he walked me right towards the hot spring and stopped in front of it.

"So," he said as he let go of my arm and turned away. "Strip. Get in."

My eyes went wide and I could only stare at him. Surely he was joking? "What?"

"Lose those disgusting rags and get into the water." Chet enunciated each word. "You are covered in blood and you are half dressed. You cannot walk around like this, and I can not return you back to Owen in this condition. You are going to take a bath, warm up, and then get dressed into something more appropriate."

"No!" I crossed my arms in front of myself. There was no way I was going to be getting naked in front of him, was he crazy?

Chet let out an exasperated groan, and I continued my protest. "Despite not wanting to be naked on television," and you, I mentally added. "What clothes are you even talking about? We didn't get any extra."