Part II • Chapter VII

Genetics

Sang

Sang

"Allow me, Miss Sorenson." Owen lightly grabbed my hand and applied pressure over the tiny spot. Meanwhile, I stared at the doctor as if my very existence depended on it.

Because, in reality, it kind of did.

I so wished that I could have had the other boys here with me for this, but at least Owen was here. I was terrified of what I would find out. What about my past was so terrible that it caused my step-mother to loathe my entire existence?

"Very good." The doctor hummed in concentration as he placed the tray into its spot and pushed at a few buttons on the computer.

He stepped back as it started making a noise, most likely indicating that it was working. I didn't know, I knew next to nothing about how to use most technology. "It will take about two to three minutes to search the database, and then the results will display here." He pointed to the location on the screen.

It was the longest three minutes of my life.

After what felt like forever, finally the screen flickered. The name Gentreau appeared.

Under the label of mother was Diana Gentreau - Deceased.

Under father was Richard Sorenson - Deceased.

At least that much wasn't new information to me, the details about my father, I mean. I had been told his name was Richard. In terms of brothers and sisters - none were listed with shared parents. However, as expected, Maro Sorenson was declared as a half sibling.

The relief was staggering. At least not everything in my life had been a lie. Plus, this meant that I could stay with the boys. After all, there was no one else able to replace me in the games.

Owen's hand clenched on my shoulder after the results had displayed, in what was almost a painful grip. However, I hardly noticed. I felt shock, both mine and his, and confusion. Because after the initial rush of relief, that's all that was left to feel.