Part I • Chapter II

Pen Pals

Sang

Sang

I stiffened and bit my lip, stunned at the unexpected news.

This would be the one hundredth anniversary and not once had the Capital ever taken part of the Culling. Perhaps that was why they were doing it this year, maybe it was a symbolic thing since this was a landmark year?

One would think they would try to plan something special.

I mean, it wasn't every year when a society could celebrate one hundred consecutive years of sending their youth into a globally televised battle to the death.

That had to count for something.

I tapped out a return message to PI.

Normally we joked and talked about a variety of topics from education to everyday life. We would do so even if we had a serious mission to discuss.

However, with this unexpected news, I had a feeling that today's conversation would be all business.

Did they say why? Do the other districts know?

Like I said, PI sometimes told me things that normal people would probably not know.

For example, once he mentioned that people in district five discussed fighting against the Capital, but their plans were discovered and the perpetrators were hung. He always kept me up to date with interesting news and on topics that might affect district six.

Sometimes, he asks me for information about district six in return.

For example, he was interested to learn about the living conditions here. He also wanted to know about the general happiness of the people, what our everyday experiences are like, and the general disposition of the local government. That sort of thing.

He would also ask me to follow up on rumors he might have heard.

I always tried to answer as truthfully as I could, and if a situation came up where I did not have an answer... Well, then I worked my hardest to find out.