Part III • Chapter XVIII

Conditioning

- Trigger Warning -
- Most Graphic Location Labeled -

- Trigger Warning -- Most Graphic Location Labeled -

Sang

Sang

"Are you sure that you trust him?" Payton asked softly. He stood beside me, glancing curiously in the direction of the camp. We were close, and apparently Octavius was currently doing something dreadful to Chet.

I knew that no matter what happened after today, I would never forget the sounds of his screams.

Jesse, Jay, and Roe had been sent to ambush the other side on my signal. And it had been three and two, and organized in this way, because I had the very same question about Jay's loyalty.

I sighed, touching the smooth wood of the bow behind my shoulder. "I don't know," I admitted. "Honestly, I feel like I shouldn't trust anyone right now. But I really don't have a choice, we need him. He's a good fighter, and he has fought against Efrain before..."

Payton frowned, studying my face, before he responded. "I do not trust him either. There is always a choice, always another way." He moved, stopping to pick up his longsword, before glancing back at me. "I am going to go check it out. I will send Jesse back to stay with you if nothing is wrong. But if something has happened, and nobody returns within fifteen minutes, then leave."

Leave? I couldn't leave! And as if to reinforce my point, another scream reverberated throughout the area. It was louder now, as if something truly dreadful was happening.

My pulse quickened furiously, I knew that Payton was right. We were rushing. We were pressing our limits with just the five of us, but without Jay... "But-"

"I know that you know it too." Payton interrupted. "Without him we cannot win, even with the element of surprise. The best thing to do, if he's untrustworthy, is to retreat and come up with a new plan."

Leave Chet? Like this? We didn't have any more time. I could only stare at Payton, eyes wide, as his words resounded through me. There was no way. "I can't-"