Part I • Chapter VII

Introductions - Part Two

Sang

Sang

Even from my hideout behind the heavy velvet drapes I could sense the underlying tension throughout the room.

Kota had left me right outside the door; I was close enough to the inside where I could quickly be in either area if I needed to go hide. From my vantage point I had a clear view of the tributes socializing inside, as well as of the garden pathways directly leading to the elaborate patio where I was.

It was actually kind of interesting watching everyone interact.

Despite all the talk about needing to mingle with the other tributes, everyone seemed fully aware that the only thing the Capital would have to gain with all these newfound relationships would be more entertainment for the viewers.

From what I could tell most tributes were feeling each other out and joining together in groups of at least four. As it were, I knew my case was hopeless, especially when compared to people who have had the education and training that I lacked, so I could only take it day by day.

At this point I just decided to look for people I could befriend.

Kota seemed really nice and I trusted him. While we walked he had told me about a group of friends of his whom also were chosen for the Culling.

At first I thought I thought it was strange. I mean, I wasn't sure where he was from but it seemed most likely that he was a higher level district.

Maybe it wasn't odd for friends to join the games together?

Although, I don't know why you would... Considering the results. I was actually kind of surprised he was involved, to be honest, he seemed more sensible than someone who would find the Culling to be a good pastime.

When we got to the patio, Kota told me to stay here while he went and fetched his doctor friend. I did not want to be center of attention yet, and he must have realized that, so he said he was going to try to make things easier on me.