Part II • Chapter V

What It Means To Be

Sang

Sang

The slam sounded throughout the hallway as the door hit the wall in the room and I could hear the muffled sounds of gunshots. From my crouched position on the floor I couldn't see anything. The peacekeeper had made sure to keep me out of a cross-firing range, which unfortunately also kept me out of sight.

I longed to go see, to help, but every move of my body resulted in agonizing pain. Owen was in that room and I hadn't any idea of what might have happened to him in the time I had been gone. Honestly, I didn't even know how long it had been since before Jade took me away; it could have been minutes or hours for as much as I knew.

"Where is she? Please tell me that you got to her first." Owen's voice was desperate. A half-second passed before he rushed past me and looked up and down the hallway in a panic.

Owen looked different than he did when I was taken. His perfectly pressed clothing were in disarray and he was bleeding from his head, as if he had been fighting against his guards this whole time and they simply restrained him. Most likely, that had been the case.

I tried to call for him so he would look at me, but my voice broke.

He spun and I knew the instant that he spotted me, the anxiety in his face melted away and in its place concern blossomed. I could only imagine what I looked like right now, it was probably something disgusting and awful.

"Sang." Owen crouched in front of me, hands hovering near my shoulders but not touching; as if he was unsure of what to do and how to proceed. That wasn't possible, Owen always knew what to do. But he was afraid to touch me. "Darling..."

I reached forward and held on to his arm, pulling him to me. I tried to say his name again, but my voice barely came out as a whisper.

It was enough.

Owen wrapped his arms around me gently and pulled me into him, my face against his chest. He was saying something, but my own relief was overpowering and I could only hear the pounding of Owen's heart and the sound of my own breaths.